Strava Pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
What's this Garmin thing you all still use?? Phone + smart watch + Peloton for me instead of Strava :smile:.

Phone = bigger, non waterproof, rather than a neat little Garmin unit mounted on the stem. Phone stays at home now for most rides, unless specifically needed. It's actually quite liberating to be without the thing for a while!

As for Strava, I kicked that into touch many years ago when they put some of the features behind a subscription paywall. This latest price hike reinforces my decision. Garmin Connect has everything I need and more.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
What's this Garmin thing you all still use?? Phone + smart watch + Peloton for me instead of Strava :smile:.

View attachment 675890

Love my Garmin devices. Epix for running and walking and an Edge 830 for cycling. I find Garmin Connect stats really useful. I still use Strava but must admit I find myself sometimes getting fed up with it and contemplating cancelling it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Only certain Garmin units will automatically sync. But you can manually load gps data from other devices as long as you can access the recorded fit / gpx / or TCX file.

Ah the old days. Getting the gpx file off your GPS, and uploading it. Nostalgia. Gpsbabel.

I remember my first experience of auto -syncing. I'd got a new GPS and had set it up, but didn't know all the features. I'd just finished a ride and was buying a coffee at Sevenoaks railway station when I got a message on my phone saying "your ride is ready to view". What? No faffing around with cables at home? I felt like I was in Star Trek.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You might wish to sync a course to navigate. You do that from your phone, tablet, PC, Mac as per your preferences. You might wish to change the data fields and you might decide to do that on phone, in which case you need to sync those to the GPS. Any change done on a phone for a GPS needs to be synced whether Garmin or Wahoo and whether you are aware or not.

Yes, already aware of this. My Wahoo syncs everything automatically when it's switched on and if I was altering the data fields would do as you describe.

I interpreted the post I commented on as meaning the device must be synced and paired with Garmin Connect to enable recording which I don't think is true.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Ah the old days. Getting the gpx file off your GPS, and uploading it. Nostalgia. Gpsbabel.

No; THIS is the old days.... (optimistically calibrated up to 70 mph!).

Tacho Veglia.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes, already aware of this. My Wahoo syncs everything automatically when it's switched on and if I was altering the data fields would do as you describe.

I interpreted the post I commented on as meaning the device must be synced and paired with Garmin Connect to enable recording which I don't think is true.

It’s not true, you can just turn on the gps and go

Psamathe

Garmin is just...free
Garmin is "free" but has constraints e.g. if you record an activity on a non-Garmin device and upload it it "works" fine but does not fully count for everything e.g. if you bother with their "badges" and "levels" activities uploaded/recorded from e.g. phones (non-Garmin devices) don't count towards badges.

That said, I suspect for most (incl. me) the limitations are trivial.

Ian

Just checked my Strava account and it's going up from £3.99 to £8.99 next month.That's an increase of 125%:cursing:
If i cancel(which i will be)will i go on to the free version automatically or will i have to apply again?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just checked my Strava account and it's going up from £3.99 to £8.99 next month.That's an increase of 125%:cursing:
If i cancel(which i will be)will i go on to the free version automatically or will i have to apply again?

No, it just downgrades to the free version. Is it so expensive because it’s monthly. Just checked mine and even when it renews next January it is £54.99

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No, it just downgrades to the free version. Is it so expensive because it’s monthly. Just checked mine and even when it renews next January it is £54.99

I just logged on and got a nagging/begging screen trying to get me to sign up to premium. It told me it would be the same as yours- £54.99
1675703300306.png

Top Bottom