Strava segments appearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got an Edge 520 as a Christmas present, just messing around with segments now, and notice there have been 20 segments added to my device (shown when connected to the computer) that I have never heard of. They were all added the day my device was shipped, and are all around Dorset (about as far away from me as you can get, I live in Northumberland).
Trying to find out what has happened I notice on Strava's website that they have a feature "
Popular Strava Segments on Your Garmin
Live Segments on compatible Edge devices include starred segments, goal segments and a selection of popular segments near your location. Learn more."
....this was turned on, and I suppose is the answer, but Dorset?? Really?? Its approx 400 miles away !!!

Anybody shed any light, my only tiny little concern is its a refurbished unit from someone in Dorset that didn't delete their segments :-(

400bhp

Guru
Yes strava automatically downloads segments to your garmin.
I suspect it may be linked to your gps coordinates where you were when you joined strava. What does your location say on strava?
If it's not Devon then it sounds like someone else used your unit first. But it could be the supplier testing it I guess.

I wouldn't worry about it so long as you have registered the unit in your name.

OP
OP
iancity

iancity

Veteran
Thanks for that. Strava shows my true location, which is Northumberland, and I have never been to Dorset/Devon. Should I be worried if, as it appears, someone may have used my device first? Chain reaction (where I got it from) seem to be based in NI, even further from Devon....:tired:

Top Bottom