W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Interesting marketing email from Strava. I have RGT (trainer software) set to synch to Strava, and a session I uploaded last week involved some segments. Nothing in the least bit interesting.

The email is titled "Great work on <daft segment name>" and in the body it says "check out out our segment analysis". Of course if I follow the link in the email* it takes me to a page that tells me how great segment analysis is, but that I must subscribe to see it.

I guess this is part of a wave of conversion activities where they reach out to non subscribers and remind them of what they're missing, with the aim of converting them to subscribers. Or of course they could just be reaching out to non subscribers and irritating them.

* Having first checked that it is a valid Strava link, natch.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I read a post from Ben at Veloviewer that he's working on a new updated extension so the overlay will work with the new Strava mapping.

Veloviewer would be perfect if you could plan routes on it.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Veloviewer would be perfect if you could plan routes on it.
I much prefer Komoot for route planning as I like you can use several different maps (OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap, Google Satellite and I can't remember the others) to ensure you get the route you want. Plus when your route doesn't follow their 'ways' (where it thinks you should go) you can just switch it off for that/those waypoint/s and make plot your route exactly where you want. It would be great having a VV overlay for Komoot especially for those hard to reach tiles.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Interesting marketing email from Strava. I have RGT (trainer software) set to synch to Strava, and a session I uploaded last week involved some segments. Nothing in the least bit interesting.

The email is titled "Great work on <daft segment name>" and in the body it says "check out out our segment analysis". Of course if I follow the link in the email* it takes me to a page that tells me how great segment analysis is, but that I must subscribe to see it.

I guess this is part of a wave of conversion activities where they reach out to non subscribers and remind them of what they're missing, with the aim of converting them to subscribers. Or of course they could just be reaching out to non subscribers and irritating them.

I think this will become a problem over time. Increasingly they are converting buttons on the free version which if I click them come up with “look what you could do if you paid”.

Now in effect I have buttons I click which lead to something that doesn’t work for me. Now whilst that might convert some to paid. It is just annoying me. Fine take away the function for free users but don’t leave a useless link or button on the webpage or app for me to click. If I get annoyed enough I will just delete my account and ride data.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes

Hmm, I got a Strava email thanking me for being a subscriber.

I think they just love sending emails...

Adrian_K

Über Member
went to look at this morning's ride on Strava only to find most of the usful features are now only available to subscribers. :cursing:

you can only see the top 10 for each segment and you can also no longer see your own historic times just the overall stats (length, duration and elevation)

I'm unemployed (thanks Covid!) and am making the most of the good weather but with no income I can't justify non-essential expenditure.:sad:

There's been so little development of the app in the last couple of years, I don't see how they can justify charging for it.

A

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
what is strava losing if you close an account that was free anyway............nothing, so thy wont care if you keep it or get rid of it

D

Deleted member 26715

what is strava losing if you close an account that was free anyway............nothing, so thy wont care if you keep it or get rid of it
I think the only time they will lose is if there is a mass deletion of accounts, but I don't think that is going to happen, which is what they are bargaining on, most will just leave their account active & accept the limited use, not many will actively disconnect the auto-syncing across sites.

jowwy

I think the only time they will lose is if there is a mass deletion of accounts, but I don't think that is going to happen, which is what they are bargaining on, most will just leave their account active & accept the limited use, not many will actively disconnect the auto-syncing across sites.
but money wise, they lose nothing

D

Deleted member 26715

but money wise, they lose nothing
The question you posed was "What will they lose" not "What will they financially lose" sorry if I didn't answer the question you didn't ask.

Reactions: mjr

jowwy

The question you posed was "What will they lose" not "What will they financially lose" sorry if I didn't answer the question you didn't ask.
sorry you felt the need to be so pedantic with your answer..........next time i will make myself abundantely clear, would hate to feel i wasn't being clear in my postings.

whether it was a loss in members or cash, they would still be losing nothing, as free accounts don't pay anything, that was my point

D

Deleted member 26715

sorry you felt the need to be so pedantic with your answer..........next time i will make myself abundantely clear, would hate to feel i wasn't being clear in my postings.

whether it was lose in members or cash, they would still be losing nothing, that was my point
I disagree, I wasn't being pedantic I was answering the question as you asked it, I has already apoligised for not giving you the answer you wanted.

But I still disagree with your new stance, that it there was a mass deletion of accounts, or a significant decline in uploads by free members then the core of Strava would be damaged. However as I also put I very much doubt that will happen, they have taken a calculated risk, one which I think will be successful.

Top Bottom