Stuffing a tyre with grass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've often come across the tip of stuffing a tyre full of grass or other vegetation if unable to fix a puncture for whatever reason. I considered it once (but I wasn't far enough away to justify the effort), I even dished out this advice* on one occasion- an endurance cyclist got stuck somewhere and asked on Twitter (I can't remember what solution was used but they didn't do this)

I imagine you would need to stuff a lot in there to 'inflate' the tyre and it would get all mushed up pretty quickly.

(while writing this I ran a quick search and found a number of videos where this has been tried- will take a look later, and there are some older posts on here too- so I will be more specific)

• Has anyone on here actually tried this?
  • if so, how did it go

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*OK- I did mitigate this advice quite heavily at the time!
First Tweeted 'Stuff the tyre with grass? (disclaimer: i've never actually tried this)
Followed up with 'A couple of minutes research suggests walking would be a better solution'

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did try it once. Just out of curiosity as I happened to be building an old bike and I happened to have an enormous pile of grass clippings nearby. I got bored and gave up before I even got close to success.

GCN made a video about it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwO7f1wxUzM

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Used a stick and some as an impromptu spanner once too. Better than nothing in a tight spot. Carried tools ever since.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From my (failed) experiment it would take so long to get sufficient grass in there that you could have walked a fair old way in that time. But maybe I was using the wrong kind of grass (I was using lawn clippings)

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Big handfuls pulled out of the ground work best.

Top Bottom