Stuffing a tyre with grass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
We should just get the government to repeal the second law of thermodynamics, and the first as well, while they are at it.

When Richard Ballantine was writing this:

he commissioned me to build a bike for a spread in the book about get-you-home-bodges. One of the things he wanted to feature was a tyre stuffed with grass. I didn't think it would work. It didn't work. But it went in the book anyway. So I am, in part, responsible for perpetuating this myth, for which, I feel a great deal of shame and I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise.

KneesUp

Guru
A mate I was on a bike ride did this at my suggestion - we used long, thick grass pulled out as large pieces from near a pond. He said it was very uncomfortable riding the 11 miles home (it was the rear wheel) and the tyre was wrecked, but he got home without the tyre coming off the rim, so I suppose it worked.

EDIT - we were 16 or 17 and skint in the school holidays. I'd like to think were we to go on the same ride again we'd google the nearest bike shop rather than spend an hour pissing about pulling up grass!

Last edited:
OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
the tyre was wrecked, but he got home without the tyre coming off the rim,

I expect some of us have done that without taking time to add any grass! (I've ridden slowly on a totally flat tyre more than once)

When Richard Ballantine was writing this: View attachment 596276
he commissioned me to build a bike for a spread in the book about get-you-home-bodges. One of the things he wanted to feature was a tyre stuffed with grass. I didn't think it would work. It didn't work. But it went in the book anyway. So I am, in part, responsible for perpetuating this myth, for which, I feel a great deal of shame and I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise.

Very interesting- likely this is where I first heard of this bodge.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I find it much easier to bring a few spare innertubes on every ride.

I found that very challenging when I used either panniers or a courier bag depending on what bike I was riding to work. Invariably I'd forget to transfer stuff from one bag to the other.

I stick to the bag these days so mostly good (although I still managed to forget to return my minipump to the bag once and rode around for months without it)

Top Bottom