Stuffing a tyre with grass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Lay wheel down flat
So all of it falls out?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You partially mount the tyre then push the grass in and firm it down with a Park Tool Grass Tamper. It's a bit pricey, but best to use the right tools for the job.
I think that bananas might be a better bet. They follow the curve of the tyre and you don't have to worry about them turning into mush in your pocket.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Lay the bike down run a tyre lever around one wheel rim and stuff the grass in pressing the tyre back on the rim as you go. Use a tyre with spoke hook to stop tyre popping off as you go round. You can even leave the wheel on the bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
4 pages and has no-one suggested using an inner tube :whistle:

:laugh:

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

Robin Banx

My son had a puncture and I put in the spare inner tube for him at the road side, but we couldn't get it to inflate. Closer inspection revealed it had a large split in it. I had heard of the stuffing grass bodge, but hit upon the idea of using the latex surgical gloves - always carried for impromptu mechanicals - to knot tightly at each end of the split.
Not only did it manage to get us home, but I went onto a month of nights, forgetting about his tyre, and he rode the bike all month!

Top Bottom