Suicidal Cyclist spotted today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
As per the title, death wish cyclist out for his daily exercise, only problem was he was riding on the hard shoulder of the A1(M) just south of Birtley, heading north, at least he was wearing a helmet :wacko:

Brads

Idiot ! doesn't he know a helmet will get him killed ?.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i once made the mistake of posting on here that i saw a time trial being held on part of A1 up north somewhere
i thought it was dangerous and was causing a few problems with traffic especially lorries that were trying their best to move lanes to avoid the bikes , there was no warning signs and traffic was moving at full tilt
after all the comments i got i now see the error of my thinking .
perfectly safe , traffic shouldnt be moving that fast especially lorries , totally legal to ride on the A1so you have every right to be there and no other route will give you such a wonderful time
to all who do this , i wish them a fantastic life , how ever short it may be :okay:

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
i once made the mistake of posting on here that i saw a time trial being held on part of A1 up north somewhere
i thought it was dangerous and was causing a few problems with traffic especially lorries that were trying their best to move lanes to avoid the bikes , there was no warning signs and traffic was moving at full tilt
perfectly safe , traffic shouldnt be moving that fast especially lorries , totally legal to ride on the A1so you have every right to be there and no other route will give you such a wonderful time
to all who do this , i wish them a fantastic life , how ever short it may be :okay:
Totally legal? Not when it's the A1(M) in fact I would suggest that the ordinary A road sections would not be legal on this particular road, even though it's an A road designated with the green signs, it's about time the whole thing was given Motorway status for the entire length, it's bad enough having tractors on there never mind cyclists dodging 85 mph Audis & BMW's

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Very odd for a time trial to have no signage or marshals , i wonder how it got approval without supplying the authorities with every single detail about the event before hand .

winjim

Smash the cistern
Totally legal? Not when it's the A1(M) in fact I would suggest that the ordinary A road sections would not be legal on this particular road, even though it's an A road designated with the green signs, it's about time the whole thing was given Motorway status for the entire length, it's bad enough having tractors on there never mind cyclists dodging 85 mph Audis & BMW's
Maybe start by cracking down on motorists driving at 85mph, and go from there? Because 'motorists drive illegally therefore we must ban cyclists' is a really bad take.

A1 near Sinderby used to be Time Trial heaven. Even then courses were checked regularly to see what traffic volume there was. Courses were closed if traffic count was too high.

That was before the risk averse society we now live in saw death in every move we now make.

Those courses gave gone since the road was upgraded to motorway status. And that cyclist is an idiot.

T252 in all its variants. V134. Good courses lost.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
A1 near Sinderby used to be Time Trial heaven. Even then courses were checked regularly to see what traffic volume there was. Courses were closed if traffic count was too high.

One of them used to coincide with the classic car show at Newby Hall. It was always an interesting drive down with vintage vehicles doing little more than 30mph & cyclists to watch out for.

Venod

Eh up
I rode the O2 course from Blyth a few times in the 80's I can't remember thinking this is dangerous, but when I have driven that course since I thought I must have been mad.

Was the traffic a lot less in the 80's ?

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
Maybe start by cracking down on motorists driving at 85mph, and go from there? Because 'motorists drive illegally therefore we must ban cyclists' is a really bad take.
If you want to ride on the A1, then crack on, I would think even if traffic was doing 65 mph, I wouldn’t rate you living long enough to draw a pension, it’s not about banning cyclists, more where it’s suicidal and illegal to be

GetFatty

Über Member
Apart from the fact that cycling on the A1(M) is illegal, just a point on A roads in general. I cycle them (or used to :smile: ) fairly often particularly the A2 and A20 in Kent. First point is that if you're looking for the quickest route between two points, an A road is usually your best bet. Secondly because the roads are so wide, I actually found them safer than smaller roads. I tend to have problems on two lane roads where the car behind you has a choice: wait to pass safely when there is no traffic coming the other way; or push past giving you very little space. Guess which they tend to choose.

Top Bottom