That time of the year is coming fast!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Two things I've noticed over the years in autumn/winter is fewer strava chasing nobbers/summer bunnies on bikes which imo is good and more nobbers in cars being increasingly impatient/less caring which is bad.
Other than heavy rain, (no wipers on my glasses) severe wind (I'm a wuss) or snow/ice (no snow/ice tyres atm) I'll ride.

Bikes are our main form of transport so mileage reduces but I'm usually riding daily.

I have mudguards and a hub Dynamo on all my bikes and the lights are permanently on anyway.

The really cold time when I need my ice spikes usually reduces my cycling a bit because they're heavy and awkward, but that's about the worst of it.

pbkclements

Bit more on daily commute as I seek to get off busy Unlit A road. Think I will stop on icy days, route a bit hilly & brompton not ideal for this.

Winter bike. Winter clothing. I won't ride with the threat of ice. If it's raining when I'm due to start I don't go.

Otherwise it's business as usual. Winter riding is the best possible training for the spring.
Same here, though not into training. If a chance of ice, won't ride, rain not a great problem (finished a wonderful ride in rain yesterday that overcame a train delayed by flooding, a road closed due to flooding and half a road washed away) but don't like setting out in the rain.

edit - don't mind the dark - I like night riding and did a through the night ride the other week which saw me turn up at a place at 7am. My love of night travel goes back to my childhood. It's great to be about when others aren't.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
I actually did more miles in the winter than in the spring, I tend to do longer, but slower rides as the conditions aren't really suitable for pushing it speed wise.

Only things I don't mess with are strong winds, ice and thick fog, fog I hate even if I'm in the car as I see too many not driving to the conditions.

Domus

Guru
Lovely sunny morning for a visit to mum’s.
A bit chilly around the knees so could be last ride in shorts. Full gloves as well next ride methinks.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom