That time of the year is coming fast!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I feel much safer commuting during Scottish, dark winter, mornings. With the lights I use plus reflective gear I know I am so much more visible compared to a bright sunny day.
Must admit I have sometimes thought this, bikes in daylight maybe filtered out of drivers' conscious vision. Riding at night I quite often get the feeling that drivers approaching me slow down, either because they are generally nice or because they are trying to make sense out of what they are seeing, the lights, my position on the road. There is of course the worry of drunks awheel, but far less common than they used to be I think.

CXRAndy

Guru
Very dangerous part of the year, low sun blinding drivers ontop of their blinkered driving. I don't go outside from Sept to April and turbo train indoors usually. I treat myself to a week in Tenerife when I've got my base fitness back.

This year has seen a few friends fall over winter months with very serious injuries. Fractured pelvis, bolts everywhere, collar bone, plated, snapped femur just below the hip joint, bolts and finally another who fell twice fractured wrist.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Very dangerous part of the year, low sun blinding drivers ontop of their blinkered driving. I don't go outside from Sept to April and turbo train indoors usually. I treat myself to a week in Tenerife when I've got my base fitness back.

This year has seen a few friends fall over winter months with very serious injuries. Fractured pelvis, bolts everywhere, collar bone, plated, snapped femur just below the hip joint, bolts and finally another who fell twice fractured wrist.
Are you sure you are not in an episode of casualty?

My road cycling tails off this time of year for several reasons. I don't enjoy riding in the cold as much and after a summer of cycling I'm always about ready to do something else anyway.

Yesterday was the first really cold day of autumn and i found myself less inclined to push on on the bike. I'll probably do more indoor stuff this winter, strength training, elliptical, turbo and outside some walking and mtn biking with a weekly road ride.

D

Deleted member 1258

September to april stuck inside sounds miserable - half a life.
Are all these falls you describe on ice?

It does don't it. I'm out as usual this morning, just wrapped up a bit more, baselayer, winter jacket, overshoes and gloves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you are not in an episode of casualty?
yep, andy sounds like a very dangerous person to know - still wondering what has caused all this mayhem - if ice, just stay in when there is a signifciant risk of it/make sure you are going to be comfortably back before it falls or have a train bail plan. Ice is the only thing to worry about in winter.

Andy - be careful in the summer - sunstroke - death by dehydration - carefree drivers in beach buggies.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I know a bloke stayed inside on turbo and it fell over with them into the fire. Be careful in there.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Legs turn to mush in a few weeks' time, regardless of mileage. It's caused by day length and wintering in the southern hemisphere is the only guaranteed way to avoid it.

Unless I'm just too tired (with 10 hour work days plus 2 hours commuting) I'll be avoiding heavy winds, and snow days, otherwise I'll be cycling as usual.

I'm getting an ebike in Dec/Jan, so it will be interesting how that changes my psychology toward wet poor weather cycling.

Domus

Guru
In light of the impending doom and gloom of a damp and miserable British winter, I have this morning booked another cycling holiday in Sunny Mallorca. :thumbsup: The downside is that I will have to wait until May. :thumbsdown:

CXRAndy

Guru
September to april stuck inside sounds miserable - half a life.
Are all these falls you describe on ice?

One friend, slipped on ice, broken wrist in February, later in November crashed again multiple hip fractures.

Club chair slipped on diesel broken femur, another mate slipped on leaves, collarbone done.

I really enjoy indoor turbo training. I get up early, breakfast and multi hour endurance ride. I can accurately track my workouts and see cardiovascular conditioning improvement over 8 week training blocks. I use Trainer road and Zwift to keep me entertained.

Each to their own preferences, I prefer to keep warm, dry and enjoy the quickness of jumping on the turbo. Its permanent setup with high end turbo, rocker board to allow side to side motion. I have a Wahoo climb allowing me to place bike in incline position to simulate riding up a gradient.

Cripes.
Does tHs club have a name?
Diesel and equivalent of leaves could happened any time of year.
Not sure what caused the second off for that particular unfortunate.
Be careful out there or in there.
I think I'd check out the bolts on your indoor thingy.

Top Bottom