That time of the year is coming fast!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its getting close to too cold when the water in you're bottle has frozen solid by the time you get to you're cafe stop.
My commute to work is 18km and in a few weeks my water bottle would be rock solid before I got to work if if I didnt hide it in a pocket.
55km is just over 30 miles. Further is well possible but for me it becomes more of a chore than enjoyment.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
How cold is too cold? My core is fine as long as I keep moving. Fingers and toes main problem.
I will commute down to -10 providing the ground is dry. If its icy I miss the commute. I live way out in the Danish countryside and ride to work at 4.30am. If I went down and injured myself at that temperature it could be dangerous.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Went to see my son in full winter gear yesterday, 7degrees , and had to come back in the rain. Still don't like riding in wet conditions but got caught in it. The other down side of it is that the bike is now filthy and will need cleaning today.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It was like a spring day today. Sunny and very mild. Still in short sleeves and shorts for the ride to work.

I will commute down to -10 providing the ground is dry. If its icy I miss the commute. I live way out in the Danish countryside and ride to work at 4.30am. If I went down and injured myself at that temperature it could be dangerous.
Impressed - I don't go out if it's anything below zero - not because of cold fear but I don't trust myself to be able to judge the chances of ice at various moisture levels - I've seen ice in exposed spots in the Kent countryside just outside London when it had been above freezing for some hours. Londoners lucky as in so many other things - very little ice threat in London all year round.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Bike cleaned and in hibernation till the spring now, that's my Specialized Roubaix Elite, the Cube is also hibernating so my Specialized Allez will be my winter bike, being the cheapest of all three.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I avoid ice and I check the rain radar to find the dry gaps. I don't mind a bit of rain tho' and occasionally actually go out in it from the start. My distances reduce but still OK for a 50 miler.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Mudguards for the win
That would be the obvious thing to do but I won't for the following reasons:
- It would spoil the look of the bike.
- I only ride in dry weather if I can help it.
- I couldn't be bothered putting them on and taking them off in spring.

Top Bottom