That time of the year is coming fast!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I don't ride in the rain, love my bike too much but I do think about getting a winter shonker to ride around for exercise as I'd still ride early mornings and get a the miles in before breakfast.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I do more miles commuting (100 a week) than the rest put together.

I'm now totally sorted for absolutely anything on the ride:
- Bike with mudguards
- Top quality light set, plus backups, plus helmet lights just to be sure
- New waterproof for this year - best I've ever had
- Ice spiker tyres for the MTB so I can switch to that and continue regardless of conditions
- Overshoes large enough for my size 50 SPD shoes
- Liner, crab claw and then electrically heated liner gloves as temperatures drop to overcome Reynauds

In the depths of winter, I do almost no miles except the commute, but I didn't miss a single day for weather last winter.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I rode for about three hours this morning in shorts, full gloves, short sleeved jersey and soft shell jacket.

Was a bit chilly on the way out and a bit warm on the way back so I suppose that’s as much as I could hope for!! :laugh:

I usually don’t let any weather stop me, unless it’s completely ridiculous ( dark and foggy, with risk of ice / snowing ) but there are very few times in the year, in my neck of the woods, where that combination occurs. I’m having a slightly easier year ( relatively speaking ) this year, and I’ll probably only manage 18000 miles in total, this year ( 20-22000 miles has been the norm for the past 10 years or so ). There really is no such thing as the ‘wrong weather’ ( barring the really risky examples I mentioned above ) just the wrong kit. The good old ‘#5 rule’ is very true.

roubaixtuesday

I ride purely for pleasure and excercise so dont do bad weather. Over winter I choose dry bright days for a 10/20/30 miler so maybe twice a month. I top up with the excercise bike.
I can get togged up but my eyes water so much it takes the pleasure out of it.

Cycling goggles should solve that?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cycling goggles should solve that?
I wear wrap around.
My tear ducts are blocked. Optician and doctor both say the only cure is an op' to 'drill' down from eyes to nose. Both say its not nice and I should only consider it if critical.

Slick

Guru
I wear wrap around.
My tear ducts are blocked. Optician and doctor both say the only cure is an op' to 'drill' down from eyes to nose. Both say its not nice and I should only consider it if critical.
Sounds horrible.

roubaixtuesday

I wear wrap around.

Yikes. Consider my inept suggestion withdrawn.

Zipp2001

Veteran
I'm looking forward to some snow and ice, and I'll have studded tires on both my Fat and 29+ bikes. The trails where I live get groomed once there is enough snow on the ground for the snowmobiles.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't ride in the rain, love my bike too much but I do think about getting a winter shonker to ride around for exercise as I'd still ride early mornings and get a the miles in before breakfast.
Is it carbon and you’re concerned it’ll melt? :laugh: A metal bike won’t ;)

Top Bottom