The CycleChat 'find the creak' challenge thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Cue the A-team theme music...

I've just bought a new (to me) / used / ex-hire bike off a trusted local bike mechanic and got a bit of a bargain, partly due to a creak that makes itself heard when I put the bike under extreme pressure (up a hill etc).

Click here to see the bike...

I bought this bike because I was given a price too good to refuse, I like a challenge and I have total faith in the users of CycleChat and their ability to solve odd problems.

So here's what has been looked at and ruled out so far:
  • Chainring bolts
  • Crank arm bolts
  • Rear cassette
  • Frame damage
  • Pedals
I KNOW we can solve this :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Check the saddle is tightened down properly. Also check the seatpost clamp is torqued up. Make sure any daft nuts (not valve caps) on the inner tube valves are removed (these are a waste of time and only work loose and cause annoying noises). Check bottle cage bosses are nipped up. Check for cables clicking in the frame bosses.

Could be the front end if it is happening when you are honking. Remove, regrease and refit all bolts on the front end and torque to spec. Take the headset bearings out, clean and inspect (also inspect the fork steerer etc for any damage), if all okay and smooth running and the bearing races are in good condition, re-grease and re-assemble. Grease the interface between headset spacers (they can click against each other if unevenly machined). Pre-load the headset properly. Check torque on STI clamps. and then give it another run out.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Check the saddle is tightened down properly. Also check the seatpost clamp is torqued up. Make sure any daft nuts (not valve caps) on the inner tube valves are removed (these are a waste of time and only work loose and cause annoying noises). Check bottle cage bosses are nipped up. Check for cables clicking in the frame bosses.

Could be the front end if it is happening when you are honking. Remove, regrease and refit all bolts on the front end and torque to spec. Take the headset bearings out, clean and inspect (also inspect the fork steerer etc for any damage), if all okay and smooth running and the bearing races are in good conduction, re-grease and re-assemble. Grease the interface between headset spacers (they can click against each other if unevenly machined). Pre-load the headset properly. Check torque on STI clamps. and then give it another run out.

Well there's plenty for me to getting on with :smile:

I will report back.

PpPete

Legendary Member

Could be the front end if it is happening when you are honking. Remove, regrease and refit all bolts on the front end and torque to spec. Take the headset bearings out, clean and inspect (also inspect the fork steerer etc for any damage), if all okay and smooth running and the bearing races are in good conduction, re-grease and re-assemble. Grease the interface between headset spacers (they can click against each other if unevenly machined). Pre-load the headset properly. Check torque on STI clamps. and then give it another run out.

ohm-meter needed ?
^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You fixed it yet ? - It's been 4 hours you know :tongue:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Cue the A-team theme music...

I've just bought a new (to me) / used / ex-hire bike off a trusted local bike mechanic and got a bit of a bargain, partly due to a creak :smile:

When specifically does it appear, for instance, when you rotate the crank to a certain point, or push the bars.

In either instance is there a favoured "side" for the creak to occur (ie left crank, right bars)

subaqua

What’s the point
handle bars to stem join. took freaking Hours to find on my MTB and it was cured by tweaking the 4 bolts. I found it more by accident as i sudenly realised when i rode no handed the noise went.

Top Bottom