The CycleChat Large SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tuesday 3rd

Spotted in one of the car-parks, as l rode through to the old ‘North Entrance’

I’m not sure if there’s some meaning to the number-plate?

Apologies for the finger partially over lens

DB7638BC-EAA2-4586-8B1C-2A1E467C7707.jpeg

A895DC53-7A4C-4DEA-8297-6F09C8328D89.jpeg

This was on Wednesday
She's fallen out with the Touareg

I think Friday 29th was the last time it was driven?
This afternoon, f-in-law was going to wash it, & it wouldn't start; a flat battery
Last time it did this, it hadn't moved for about 10 days, it could possibly be that it's still on the original battery & it won't hold a charge?

So, of course it was my fault (& his) that we bought it, instead of something like a Mondeo
(I did look, but the number of automatic Mondeos, is pitiful)

Thus, she's not happy/confident in taking it to Harrogate this weekend, & has suggested that;
- I tow the BSWOW up there
- leave f-in-law (who's staying too) to sort everything out, & set it up
- I come back home
- when she closes office & comes home, she'll take my Kodiaq, & head up, after picking her sister up (having driven it once.... last June)
- run about in it
- tow the BWSOW back, from Harrogate, to the storage (having never towed anything)

We decided that the battery wasn't holding its charge, so a new one was sourced
Halfords............
Yes I know, but they were the only place that had one on the shelf

I took it down. with f-in-l, & left him there with it, as I walked up to work

When daughter picked me up in the evening, she told me that he'd been sent home with the battery, as they couldn't fit it, they couldn't get the cover off:eek:
(it's in a box under the front passenger seat)

However, her b/f was having a go, with his impact gun to remove the bolts they couldn't apparantly undo
By the time we got home, it was installed, with just the clock & radio to reset
Friday;
I towed the BWSOW up there, we set it up, then I left f-in-l with it, coming home via Follifoot

SWMBO did actually drive up in the Touareg, with her sister
As of speaking to her last night, there's been no problems with it

Barring. of course, the thirst of a 2.5ton, 3.0litre V6^_^

She did reveal there are other thoughts brewing, between her & f-in-l

Last edited:
As I stated above, whilst there's been no complaints about it, on my daily phone calls to her.... yet!!!!

There is a consensus of opinion, that it's too big/thirsty
So, whilst there, f-in-l, & SWMBO, have come up with the idea of a VW Tiguan............
An automatic, of course, & I think they're all '4x4' (Haldex centre-diff, like mine??)

I did think of a Karoq, but they've not been around long enough to bring prices down to an appropriate level

Daughters b/f has been offered the Touareg, & seems interested (he took my Octavia off my hands, but has since sold iI)

I had a look at a couple of Tiguans on Auto-Trader, & this one looks nice
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...=3&sort=price-asc&dpp=10020691&sort=price-asc

This one is cheaper, newer, a lot closer (5 miles). but a lot more miles
https://www.omarcars.com/used/volkswagen/tiguan/2-0-tdi-s-5dr-auto/aetv94313642/

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Skip the Tiguan there very problematic not that VW will admit that.

I would go backwards if I was you and try finding something late 90s that's mechanical

Saturday 14th

Halfords
Ings Road
Wakefield

56442541-9350-4A02-B1D8-B63CAFCD8A29.jpeg

Oh that’s nice
200Tdi’s are getting even rarer, as they dissolve, or the engines are transplanted into the various Series, 90s & 110s

Mindst you, most of them are gone by now, & the 300Tdi’s are still being ransacked
I've only ever known 2 V8 manuals (in the '300' shape), one of the owners still has his

This was the other. the green one, a 3.9
Mine in the middle, & the red Tdi was an automatic
Discovery. S50 RAT. Pinderfields. A&E Discovery Owners. 1.JPG

Last edited:

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Mechanically, it’s essentially the same as my Kodiaq, barring the auto-box
Yeah. They spit out transmissions on a regular basis. The old yeti had similar problems so they discontinued it.

I have a 98 300tdi 3 door XS disco. Air con and leather etc. Leccy windows etc. Really nice as it was from the factory.
Just doing clutch today, got it all stripped out ready for refit now so do that tomorrow. .
I did have a td5 defender but sold it after many years hard field work and brought the disco.
Have had ravs and VW/Audi/Skoda's 4x4 and find the 300 disco definitely the best of the lot.

However on a day like today you need power doors (having to physically touch the outside of a car is just so crude ;)) , every seat heated, karaoke on demand via the 17inch central screen to entertain x 3 5 year olds. 70 miles covered today with a total fuel cost of roughly £5 even with the record electricity prices we are seeing at present. Cannot really complain about the running costs of our SUV :smile:.
Not sure about heated seats. etc...
But............ the Touareg does have the ability to play ('in-built') games on the radio/sat-nav screen
I only found those whilst resetting the clock/radio pre-sets, after a new battery was fitted

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Currently got this as a courtesy car while mine is (hopefully) being repaired. Quite like the raised driving position and all its bells and whistles. Drove my dad's Kuga the other month and didn't mind that either, currently car shopping in case they write mine off which is likely according to the evaluater :cry:

20220520_151943.jpg

Top Bottom