The great Strava moving time Con

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Me Sir! I do! I care!

It gives me the opportunity to blather on endlessly about the meaningfulness or otherwise of the various stats that Strava and RWGPS supply.

I care very much. Endless blathering is my reason for being.

You've only got 6000 blathers. Some way to go to catch Adrian. You need to make your blathers pithier.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Me Sir! I do! I care!

It gives me the opportunity to blather on endlessly about the meaningfulness or otherwise of the various stats that Strava and RWGPS supply.

I care very much. Endless blathering is my reason for being.
That much blathering comes perilously close to wittering on.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I use it to track my mileage on my bikes, and to keep track of my general fitness. I also like seeing improvements in speed and endurance over time, which I wouldn't be able to do easily without it. I'm never going to be competitive with the younger, thinner people who also use strava, so there is little competitiveness in it for me.
I use it track mileage on my running shoes and my decline into advancing middle-age. Whilst laughing at PB's I'll never get within minutes of, ever again.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It was getting like that with me so I gave it up while I still had some KOM's, to lose, I gave 40 KOM's to others when I stopped using Strava it gave me a feel good moment that soon passed.
Being passed by the 5km in 30 minute runners I mentored on four learn-to-run courses has yet to yield a feel good moment. ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
You must never let another cyclist pass you, and you should always look nonchalant while desperately pedalling to keep them at bay. That is the law.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Yesterday I dropped 20 places on some of my local segments.

The Tour of Britain passing through is much more annoying than the 'moving time con'.

OP
OP
Rupie

Rupie

Über Member
I don't have many things to worry about but for some reason this really annoys me. If you keep stopping for tea breaks your moving time is always going to be faster, because of the resting. They then claim their time is 20 minutes faster than everyone else. They then get all defensive when you tell them their actual total time.

As for segments, out on group rides etc, just get people to hide in the group, resting, then burst away in front like fools and then hide and rest again afterwards.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't have many things to worry about but for some reason this really annoys me. If you keep stopping for tea breaks your moving time is always going to be faster, because of the resting. They then claim their time is 20 minutes faster than everyone else. They then get all defensive when you tell them their actual total time.

As for segments, out on group rides etc, just get people to hide in the group, resting, then burst away in front like fools and then hide and rest again afterwards.
Use a stopwatch.

Time taken to get from start to finish is what matters. That factors everything in, breaks, traffic and time spent actually moving.

Train timetables would look great using a similar method.

Top Bottom