The great Strava moving time Con

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My mate gets really wound up when i point out to him my moving time for a ride was faster than his even though he finished before me. Make me laugh so much.

U

User33236

Went out on a charity ride today, horrible in the rain, many people had punctures. I was lucky and when I got home found out my official time, and posted it on line for other cycle friends to see. A group of other cyclists were 30 minutes behind me because they kept stopping for rests and one puncture. They then all posted their times via strava, showing that they got home at least 20 minutes before me.
What a con and very misleading Strava is. You could stop many times, have food and rest, in reality take a very long time but using Strava claim you took no time at all. Its your total time that counts, stops and all, specially on organised, chipped tides.
Yet another first world problem.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So I go out for a leisurely ride with my pals and we stop for 45 minutes at a cafe or a pub. Are the "total time" crowd seriously suggesting that break should be included in my riding time? I'm interested in knowing how fast I rode a particular route, not how long I was out of the house.

Example: last Sunday I rode the Manchester 100 in 24 minutes less time than in 2016 despite a stiff headwind for the outbound half. That for me is positive proof that I'm still improving my strength, technique and nutrition despite being a year older. I'm not in the least interested in the time I took from door to door.

Different philosophy I guess.

U

User169

I don't have many things to worry about but for some reason this really annoys me. If you keep stopping for tea breaks your moving time is always going to be faster, because of the resting. They then claim their time is 20 minutes faster than everyone else. They then get all defensive when you tell them their actual total time.

As for segments, out on group rides etc, just get people to hide in the group, resting, then burst away in front like fools and then hide and rest again afterwards.

Sounds like it's time for you to pin a number on and show em what your made of...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
So I go out for a leisurely ride with my pals and we stop for 45 minutes at a cafe or a pub. Are the "total time" crowd seriously suggesting that break should be included in my riding time? I'm interested in knowing how fast I rode a particular route, not how long I was out of the house.

Last December I rode what Strava considers to be one of my fastest 100 milers. It took almost 23 hours, with a 15½ hour break after 71 miles. All completed on a single calendar day. That's an extreme example, done in part as a very mild mickey-take.

Certainly if you're assessing your own performance, how you regard your stops will depend on what you were trying to achieve. But if you're regarding an effort as a single activity, you can't really argue that stationary time wasn't part of it.

First world problems

Yet another first world problem.

So from now on, cycle chat should no longer deal with "first world" problems?

OK, guys, that's a wrap. @Shaun, you can shutter the site now.

Edit: and I think it may be time stop using first etc world. Show me a country that people aren't bitching about strava segments and I'll show you a country strava hasn't rolled out to yet.

Last edited:

S-Express

I don't have many things to worry about but for some reason this really annoys me. If you keep stopping for tea breaks your moving time is always going to be faster, because of the resting. They then claim their time is 20 minutes faster than everyone else. They then get all defensive when you tell them their actual total time.

As for segments, out on group rides etc, just get people to hide in the group, resting, then burst away in front like fools and then hide and rest again afterwards.

Hi Rupie - have you been cycling long?

Venod

Eh up
Last December I rode what Strava considers to be one of my fastest 100 milers. It took almost 23 hours, with a 15½ hour break after 71 miles. All completed on a single calendar day. That's an extreme example, done in part as a very mild mickey-take.

Make it a segment and it will be one of your slowest 100's ^_^

Last edited:
U

User33236

So from now on, cycle chat should no longer deal with "first world" problems?

OK, guys, that's a wrap. @Shaun, you can shutter the site now.

Edit: and I think it may be time stop using first etc world. Show me a country that people aren't bitching about strava segments and I'll show you a country strava hasn't rolled out to yet.
You do know such statements are typically made with tongue firmly planted in cheek? :laugh:

Top Bottom