Things or people that annoy you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What annoys me?? THIS farkING IPAD!!

I was writing a reply, and it seemed to take a hairy canary and decided to delete it all.

WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY is that there is Gaelic in the north and the islands, but there is Old Scots in the south, so there is no real official native language for Scotland, despite how much they are trying to promote Gaelic.

So, to someone living in the south (where almost all of the main cities are incidentally), surrounded with all the cultural references, it is hardly surprising that they are not too hot on Gaelic, and vice versa with someone from, say, Harris.

Add in the extra dimension of modern English, and look what you have!!

Paul J

When my kids where getting Gaelic lessons at school on Lewis some of the island kids where getting taught English. On the islands some of the old folk manage to talk on the exhale of breath as well as intake.

There is a good guesthouse in Galson on the west side of Lewis if your interested http://www.galsonfarm.co.uk/. They have a bunkhouse and individual rooms run by Dave & his wife.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY is that there is Gaelic in the north and the islands, but there is Old Scots in the south, so there is no real official native language for Scotland, despite how much they are trying to promote Gaelic.

So, to someone living in the south (where almost all of the main cities are incidentally), surrounded with all the cultural references, it is hardly surprising that they are not too hot on Gaelic, and vice versa with someone from, say, Harris.

Add in the extra dimension of modern English, and look what you have!!
I think my mum's family originally came from Mull. They were all Gaelic speakers at home when she was a toddler, but she learned English at school and by the time I was born, all of them were speaking English except on the rare occasion when a couple of the older family members wanted to share a private joke in Gaelic!

I attended a memorial service for my mum last year and spoke to the minister afterwards. We had a chat about Gaelic and he told me that it wasn't a uniform language, but there were differences between the dialects spoken on different islands and parts of the mainland. He actually said "Och, they don't speak proper Gaelic there!" when referring to somewhere else. I thought that was pretty funny - it would like me saying that don't speak 'proper' English in Newcastle or Birmingham!

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Football teams in black away kit so it looks like 10 refs and recycling centres where people dump their garden waste and forget to tip it out of the bag and lazy dastards who leave cardboad boxes of wine bottles and tins by skips and are too idle to actally put them in the skip.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It's a bit far from Edinburgh to check. We need a Londonite to answer for you. Were you looking for anything in particular?

No no, I just thought you'd know, like. :laugh:

Lucheni

People who say Ness-lay.
It's Nestles ........as in................. my old man nestles comfortably in my undercrackers on a bed of luxuriant pubic hair.

I agree that Nestles is Nestles, I've never heard anyone say it different. Then again, it's not a word that gets used much around here... Are people really getting confused with Nestlé with the chikka over the e. I shall have to survey all my friends! (And some random strangers.)

Thomk

Guru
I agree that Nestles is Nestles, I've never heard anyone say it different. Then again, it's not a word that gets used much around here... Are people really getting confused with Nestlé with the chikka over the e. I shall have to survey all my friends! (And some random strangers.)
You've got to be over 40.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Digression.

When I was little, I had a toy oven, my parents made for me. It was a big brown cardboard box, that had contained cartons of washing powder. The top had 4 paper circles glued on it, for hob rings, and there was a door cut in the front, just cut on three sides with the fourth as the hinge.

The control knobs on the front were Smarties lids, glued on. They didn't turn, I just pretended.

I loved that oven, I 'cooked' lots of meals on it with a set of plastic saucepans. I couldn't have had more fun with something made of moulded plastic with all the whistles and bells.

Top Bottom