This Could Be An Expensive Hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simmer

Even though some of the stuff I bought is pricey, I will be cycling for years so it should be cost effective in the long run. You Tube seems to be my new favourite web site to try and learn a bit about what I could potentially need out on the road.

As I will be on my own out on the road, at least until I feel confident about joining a group. It made me wonder about the % of riders who are usually out by themselves, compared to the riders in cycling clubs or group rides with mates. Is it a cyclist trait that they are comfortable being by themselves and dont mind hours alone doing what they want and going wherever it pleases them. Or are the majority of riders members of clubs and enjoy the competetive side of things. I would also guess that there are many riders who do it to get to and from work and do nothing else with the bike as they see it as a tool rather than a hobby?

Weekday evenings I ride by myself but on the weekend I have a ride out with people I met through this forum.

Which part of Cheshire are you from ? I'd be happy to meet up and go through some basics with you regarding maintenance etc. (or show you some easy loops through country lanes if you are near me)

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Spokey I see where you're coming from and get the thing about expensive watches etc. However i think there's a slight difference around bikes and equipment. With an expensive Rolex you could say that you are paying for the brand name and that would be correct, but you are also paying for an investment as the value will hardly depreciate and at worst will only go back a few quid, and on average actually increase in value. So you could say that an expensive watch is hardly costing you anything ...... Unlike a car that loses one third of its value as soon as you take it off the forecourt.

With a bike it would need to be a real high end piece of kit with limited production numbers, for the rarity value. I could have spent a couple of grand more on a bike, but went for something functional for me. So people will spend what they can afford, that gives them as much as possible relative to what they pay. I think in the main that a bike will do what it's supposed to do along with the spec that it has. I used to hike a lot and always spent as much as i could afford on boots. It was the same with performance clothing and you get what you pay for, however there are some new/unknown brands that are cheaper but still have all the same performance functionality which are agreat bargain, but you need to know where to look and understand what they're saying.

There's nothing wrong with being the Alf Tupper of cycling neither, because lets face it times are not good right now for many. Yet from what I've seen in a short space of time there are plenty of cyclists out on the roads.

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Simmer thats a fantastic offer thanks. I live in the Wychwood Park area of Crewe, which is around 20-miles away from you I think. Probably like doing the Paris - Roubaix for me at the moment mate. I'm just sweating thinking about the amount of traffic on the A50 and how many hills I'll have negotiate ....... I'm hoping that another few weeks will see me confident and competent enough to be able to meet you midway :cheers:

Doc333 said " I would also guess that there are many riders who do it to get to and from work and do nothing else with the bike as they see it as a tool rather than a hobby?"
Yes, for majority of people in this world, cycling is a form of transport. For many people even in the UK, it is still the only form of transport and they can not afford a car or rising cost of fuel. Unfortunately, it is they who get killed on the roads.

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Midlifer great shout.

In an age of shaving ounces (I live in old money) off everything, where a light bike, equipment, wheels, tyres, spokes, nuts and bolts etc, etc, etc has to be the lightest around, why do we have to carry so much weight when out riding. So far I've been instructed to have a multi-tool, pump, spare innertube, GPS computer, drinks bottles, spare clothes, food products etc. How much extra weight do cyclists carry around, and is it worth all the extra expense of buying super light bikes when we still carry around a shopping trolley with us :whistle: jesus i still have to think about a lock yet, and they weigh a ton? help guys, what lock do you carry around with you?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Which lock will depend on where you leave your bike, for how long, or just next to you outside a cafe :smile: I use an Abus Granit X if leaving the bike, it's a beast

As a medical doctor, well we assumed so from your username, you may be aware of Dr Groves interesting paper on bike weight. Here is a link

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6801

What is most interesting to read is not just the article but rapid responses. There is very little scientific evidence to support lighter weight expensive carbon bikes for the kind of leisure ride that you and me do. But I bought one recently (Cube Agree GTC Pro) .

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Given that we can't all have a team car/ support vehicle following us around, it's wise to carry the basics that will allow you to get home/not die of hypothermia. For me that is a multi tool, chain breaker, quick link, tyre lever, 2 inner tubes, no-glue patches, mini pump, CO2, couple of AAA batteries, other small bits and pieces, and a waterproof in a Topeak Aero Wedge medium saddlepack. In the summer I use a smaller pack - no waterproof usually. One 750ml bottle for rides up to around 40 miles, another 500 ml after that. Of course I've tried to find the lightest most compact tools, and usually carry a relatively light cable lock as the bike is not left unattended.. Other than that, a very small phone and a wallet/pouch with the minimum contents. In the summer the club hold training sessions on a motor racing circuit, and it really is a joy to leave the pack, and other superfluous attachments off the bike, as in the event of a problem, even the furthest part of the track is a manageable walk away from 'the pits'.

Last edited:
Regarding what to carry with you, I take what I think a more pragmatic approach.
Think about the following.
Distance you travel, how far are you from home and how quickly can you summon help, what can go wrong and most importantly what can you possibly do on the road side.
I do not go cycling in Outer Hebrides in my own. I am hardly 30 miles away from home as I do circular routes. Our bikes are well maintained and chance of something seriously going wrong are very remote. I can just about repair a puncture by using a replacement tube. If any nuts and bolts get loose, I can tighten them.

So I carry an inner tube, tyre leavers and a multi tool kit that can all go in the back pocket or small saddle bag. I carry a small pump attached to the down tube.
Water bottle mounted on the frame and couple of cereal bars in the back pocket.
For everything else, I carry a mobile.phone. Call a taxi and ask them to take me to the local bike shop or home.
I do not carry a lock as I will never leave my road bike out of my sight, it is my pride and joy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Getting back to the OP's original topic, cycling really doesn't have to be expensive but obviously you can spend a lot. But I think what is so appealing about our pastime, is that you can enjoy it equally whatever your budget or means.

Last edited:

Brommyboy

Über Member
Cycling is as expensive as YOU choose to make it! Why do you want to cycle should be the determining factor, not cost.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I can see the points made above, but would also like to state that
I would rather have a used mid-range or upper range bicycle than a new, lower range bicycle.
Cost can be about the same, in my experience.
Quality can always be made to function better than economy.

outlash

also available in orange
If you think cycling is expensive, don't take up astronomy

Worse if you get into the imaging side of things, I had a relatively budget setup and it was around the £5k mark to buy new!

Like most pastimes (astronomy included), you get to that diminishing returns point where you'll end up spending a lot more to get a small increase in performance and that is in the buyers' mind. IMO, clothing is slightly removed for that because form & function combined are more important than in say, a groupset or a pair of wheels.

Tony.

Top Bottom