To those who use a helmet camera in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

turnout

Not only is relative risk not relevant to the issue of all cyclists being tarred by the RLJ / pavement / ninja brush but the risk can be just as big for motorists.

can you find an example of a cyclist causing a crash that hurt a motorist?

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I am all for 'outing' bad cyclists, after all it's THEIR actions and bad riding that have got up driver's noses and then gets us tarnished with the same brush.

Hmm... I agree to an extent.

But I think the larger problem here is an inability to distinguish between cyclists who are poor, and cyclists in general. Most people don't assume that all motorists are RLJers, speeders, or mobile phones users, but the same rules don't seem to apply to cyclists. Rampant generalization seems to be fair game.

Witness Adam Rayner's attitude.

Yes, but if Hamster had actually done his research he would have come up with a suitable retort to Clarkson's "Who pays the road tax, then?" comment rather than just "Weeellll........."

Which reminds me that I once shared a hotel bar with the Top Gear team..........

But that's another story.

:smile:

Maybe he just doesn't know...? I'm not sure if I would be surprised either other way, he might commute on a bike (sometimes) and on a nice one infact, but it doesn't mean he is like any other dangerous filtering red jumping loon (granted I reckon he doesn't for fear of being recognised).

But we all know there would have been a response and it would have had to end somewhere, as does all reasonable arguments, too soon (like the recent radio interviews etc).

classic33

Leg End Member
I've just had this e-mail from Dogcamsports.

It seems that the BBC is interested in doing a follow up article about the use of cameras in cars. I'm all for it personally.

I got the same email, however you have my nomination, if you feel like stepping up to the mark.

Who knows maybe your other project may finally get going!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Hmm... I agree to an extent.

But I think the larger problem here is an inability to distinguish between cyclists who are poor, and cyclists in general. Most people don't assume that all motorists are RLJers, speeders, or mobile phones users, but the same rules don't seem to apply to cyclists. Rampant generalization seems to be fair game.

Witness Adam Rayner's attitude.

They are in an ivory tower that is quaking under the strain, and are hitting out at anything remotely non-conformist.

Imagine paying £20-30,000 for some car or other, a couple of hundred in revenue, and another couple of hundred or more in insurance, not to mention £60-80 minimum to fill it up, and some 'cyclist' passes you in a traffic jam?

Said cyclist then proceeds to go to the front of the queue (that you have been sat in for 20 minutes), then the lights go green and the cyclist is away like a ferret up Richard Whiteley's trouser leg. You are just about to go when a car in front stalls, and you have to wait another 2/3 sequences?

And that happens for the whole of your 5-10 mile urban commute......

Every day.......

Every week............

Every year.........

And they DON'T pay road tax...................

Easy to see why we are such a 'target' for a motorist's envy.

Bman

Guru
Im not comparing "bad" cyclists to animals, but if a fox/deer/badger ran out into the road, and motorist A took evasive action that caused motorist B to be injured, wouldnt that be the fault of driver A?

Again, I'm also not excusing RLJing. It should be stopped. But shouldnt Driver A drive in such a way that if that were to happen, he can stop safely? If that means stopping dead in the middle of a junction and having RLJing cyclist fly over his bonnet, isn't that what he should do?

Drive at a speed safe for the conditions
Dont assume you path is clear if the lights are green
Watch out for badgers/foxes/deer/cylists/hazards.

My point is, bad cycling is no way near as dangerous as bad driving. It may be helping some of the bad drivers justify their actions. But its not the cause or our priority at the moment.

Norm

can you find an example of a cyclist causing a crash that hurt a motorist?
Yes, a friend of mine (admittedly a motorcyclist but the relative risk is the same) died in an accident in which a lorry driver was hospitalised for a considerable period after driving into a ditch trying to avoid him.

turnout

Yes, a friend of mine (admittedly a motorcyclist but the relative risk is the same) died in an accident in which a lorry driver was hospitalised for a considerable period after driving into a ditch trying to avoid him.

that's a no then.

Norm

Eh? A cyclist put a lorry driver in hospital? Wasn't that what you wanted?

Norm

Oh, I see, so you are just wilfully ignoring the point that I was making completely. Never mind then.

subaqua

What’s the point
Eh? A cyclist put a lorry driver in hospital? Wasn't that what you wanted?

not the right type of cyclist. but no doubt had you provided an example there would have been a " but he needed to be wearing green lycra with a pink stripe etc etc..........................

turnout

Oh, I see, so you are just wilfully ignoring the point that I was making completely. Never mind then.

Dude, a motorbike is not a bicycle. I asked for an example of a bicycle causing a crash. The motorbike story was interesting, but irrelevant.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
all the more press about cameras being used by road users is good (Y)

Anyone else seen this? http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nIp7_BUSldA

I've sent him a comment too. I dont think he's a hellraiser, he just made a daft descision that he shouldnt have done. My comment tried to hint that he may have thought it safe, but had the driver just been holding down the brake pedal it could have lurched. This move could also influence less experienced cyclists to do the same with more serious consequence.

Top Bottom