Trek Emonda ALR 6 Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
My Brother is looking around for a bike to get fit. He’s new to cycling and has been asking my advice on getting something different to the norm, but he has a narrow idea of what he wants and a budget of £2k max.

Anyway, we have managed to find something which fits his overall idea and that is the Trek Emonda ALR 6 in 2018 form.

I actually really like the look of this bike too in fairness. Would definitely have considered it for my climbing bike if I was looking now. Lovely looking thing with a good spec.

Just wondering if anyone has got or has ridden an Emonda in its Aluminium form by any chance?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My Brother is looking around for a bike to get fit. He’s new to cycling and has been asking my advice
Really, £2k bike for someone new to cycling and looking to get fit? I'm sure your reply to his request for advice was to advise him that something around £600-£1k will get him a great new bike that will last him years and still be putting a smile on his face if/when his fitness has improved over the 1st year or two......

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Really, £2k bike for someone new to cycling and looking to get fit? I'm sure your reply to his request for advice was to advise him that something around £600-£1k will get him a great new bike that will last him years and still be putting a smile on his face if/when his fitness has improved over the 1st year or two......
What you are suggesting is exactly right, but I know that he has been saving for quite a while and has the disposable income to spend. I have been through it all with him and he would prefer to spend that amount knowing that he won't be looking to buy another bike for a while. He's fighting the urge to buy another classic car, so I half think that if he was to spend £600 on a bike, he would still be itching to get a classic car too.

Any experience of the Emonda ALR then? Or any other top end Alu framed beauties?

vickster

Legendary Member
It would make more sense for him to go to Evans or similar and test ride a number of bikes in his price range. He'll be riding it after all

I'm not sure a Trek Emonda is very different to the norm, at least not in the these parts (although anecdotally I see less Treks than Specialized and Cannondales)

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
It would make more sense for him to go to Evans or similar and test ride a number of bikes in his price range. He'll be riding it after all

I'm not sure a Trek Emonda is very different to the norm, at least not in the these parts (although anecdotally I see less Treks than Specialized and Cannondales)
That’s the plan, plus a bit of browsing locally too, as something might catch his eye.

I haven’t seen a single Trek around these parts. Most other brands, but not Trek. Mostly Giant and Specialized, a few Cannondales and a couple of Bianchi’s.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What you are suggesting is exactly right, but I know that he has been saving for quite a while and has the disposable income to spend. I have been through it all with him and he would prefer to spend that amount knowing that he won't be looking to buy another bike for a while. He's fighting the urge to buy another classic car, so I half think that if he was to spend £600 on a bike, he would still be itching to get a classic car too.

Any experience of the Emonda ALR then? Or any other top end Alu framed beauties?
Fair enough, sounds like he has the cash and wants to spend it regardless. That being the case, just to second what Vickster says, trying the bike is THE most important part of the selection process rather than cost or specification. How does he know he wants a road bike when maybe a flat bar bike might be a better fit? There are some very nice, fast, flat bar bikes or maybe a rigid hybrid with a bit of utility capability would suit? I only make this suggestion as even I will still take my hybrid on a long fast ride and still get the big grin feeling even when I have a choice of road bikes that could be used.

Worth considering that he might prefer something other than the drop bar, high end road machine? He wont really know until he tries a few....

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
True enough. The plan is to go and look in a few shops and see what demo rides they have available.

I am intrigued about the high end Alu myself tbh. Maybe find a demo locally with a bit of luck.

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans will allow you to demo ride any bike that they have in their warehouse. £60 refundable deposit

si_c

Guru
Are you and your brother of a similar size? I'm just wondering whether it's worth getting him to go over budget. Of course it would be a shame if he didn't like to ride, wouldn't it.:evil:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers for the heads up on the test ride @vickster.

@si_c He is about 2 or 3 inches shorter than me, but I am sure the frame size will be similar to me. :smile:

All jokes aside, it will be nice to get him out for a catch up regularly. It will be more Spring/Summer riding for him though, as his job keep him more busy in the Winter.

huwsparky

Über Member
I'd try and get him to spend less than a grand too. That way, if he takes to it he can buy something more suitable from an informed position and won't end up with a 2k ornament.

Why is he limiting his choice to a ALU bike on a budget like he has? Most 2k bikes will be carbon.

I'd try and get him to spend less than a grand too. That way, if he takes to it he can buy something more suitable from an informed position and won't end up with a 2k ornament.

Why is he limiting his choice to a ALU bike on a budget like he has? Most 2k bikes will be carbon.
Not sure if he is limiting himself to ali, it reads like he has found a bike he likes for a price he can afford that happens to be ali.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Top end Alu bike trumps a bottom end Carbon bike any day of the week.

We might have found something Carbon based though. Awaiting stock confirmation from bike shop.

Top Bottom