Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Smashed bottles on cycle tracks or the road

People who bitch about the amount of speeding through our town, then post warnings on Facebook, when there are mobile speed cameras in place. :wacko:

They had a series of mobile speed camera on our road a few months ago

once or twice a week I would see a bloke in Police uniform pointing his device at all and sundry

I generally gave him a thumbs up or wave as I went past

seems like the result is just once of those signs that tells you how fast you are going

Unfortunatly they have put it just before I turn off the main road so I can;t pull out a bit and see how big a number I can get on it on my bike
(go on- you've all done it!!!!)

Alex321

Veteran
seems like the result is just once of those signs that tells you how fast you are going

Unfortunatly they have put it just before I turn off the main road so I can;t pull out a bit and see how big a number I can get on it on my bike
(go on- you've all done it!!!!)

Of course :smile:

There are only two of them where I have got a speed above the motor vehicle speed limit - one in a 20 limit, where I have had it register 23, and one at the bottom of a hill in a 30 where I've had 34.

There's another 30 limit one on my commute home where I've regularly had mid to high 20's, but never quite reached 30.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When you don't need it, you often happen across it. When you do need it, you just can't find it! :angry:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Recipes that only give to oven temperature in °C

Blasted annoying as I have a gas oven and it has proper, sensible, Gas MK measurements on the knobs.

Alex321

Veteran
Recipes in US measures. A cup of one thing is a different weight to a cup of another and online converters vary on what this means in terms of mass.

While I agree about not liking US measures, a cup is a measure of volume, not weight. And should be equal to 240ml, or 8 fluid ounces.

But yes, it is awkward when a recipe calls for a cup of flour rather than x ounces of flour when you are used to measuring by weight. One chart I have found gives the following conversions for a few things

1 CUP FLOUR = 140 GRAMS
1 CUP SUGAR = 150 GRAMS
1 CUP POWDERED SUGAR = 160 GRAMS
1 CUP HEAVY CREAM = 235 GRAMS

I'm not sure whether "powdered sugar" is what we would call Icing sugar, or Caster Sugar. And nor am I quite sure what "Heavy Cream" is.

figbat

Slippery scientist
While I agree about not liking US measures, a cup is a measure of volume, not weight. And should be equal to 240ml, or 8 fluid ounces.

But yes, it is awkward when a recipe calls for a cup of flour rather than x ounces of flour when you are used to measuring by weight. One chart I have found gives the following conversions for a few things

1 CUP FLOUR = 140 GRAMS
1 CUP SUGAR = 150 GRAMS
1 CUP POWDERED SUGAR = 160 GRAMS
1 CUP HEAVY CREAM = 235 GRAMS

I'm not sure whether "powdered sugar" is what we would call Icing sugar, or Caster Sugar. And nor am I quite sure what "Heavy Cream" is.

This is another annoyance - the naming of stuff. Yes, I believe powdered sugar is icing sugar and heavy cream is double cream. There’s also “all purpose flour” which translates roughly to plain flour. And then they go and pull out corn syrup or some other staple that we don’t typically use here. And then there’s “cilantro” and other “urbs”.

Bah!

Top Bottom