Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
and other “urbs”.

I really hate this! It is clearly spelled with an H so why pronounce it without, given that the English spelling and pronunciation has already been around for years. It's not even a shortened slang for anything, all it seems to be doing is making americans look like they are imitating a Jamaican accent

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've got every right to drop my aitches if i want to, and so 'as everyone else :okay:

Alex321

Veteran
I really hate this! It is clearly spelled with an H so why pronounce it without, given that the English spelling and pronunciation has already been around for years. It's not even a shortened slang for anything, all it seems to be doing is making americans look like they are imitating a Jamaican accent

I think that was an ironic use.

CharlesF

Guru
This is another annoyance - the naming of stuff. Yes, I believe powdered sugar is icing sugar and heavy cream is double cream. There’s also “all purpose flour” which translates roughly to plain flour. And then they go and pull out corn syrup or some other staple that we don’t typically use here. And then there’s “cilantro” and other “urbs”.

Bah!

I don’t use American recipes, unless there is no UK equivalent online! Saves these hassles.

I have stopped using any recipe site that doesn't end in .co.uk

Far too many attampts to make something ending in "what does THAT mean"

probably because I tend to not read it properly before deciding to make it!!!

Our health insurance are demanding that I complete an online form, but not for the first time their website doesn't work; this happened last year as well; on that occasion I clearly made two separate accounts and neither of them worked.

I can't be bothered repeating that so I sent them an email asking them to just send me the damn form in the post. It's what happened last year and this time I can save an our or so of faffing about with the website.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
While I agree about not liking US measures, a cup is a measure of volume, not weight. And should be equal to 240ml, or 8 fluid ounces.

But yes, it is awkward when a recipe calls for a cup of flour rather than x ounces of flour when you are used to measuring by weight. One chart I have found gives the following conversions for a few things

1 CUP FLOUR = 140 GRAMS
1 CUP SUGAR = 150 GRAMS
1 CUP POWDERED SUGAR = 160 GRAMS
1 CUP HEAVY CREAM = 235 GRAMS

I'm not sure whether "powdered sugar" is what we would call Icing sugar, or Caster Sugar. And nor am I quite sure what "Heavy Cream" is.

A cup is about proportions not fixed volumes. As long as you use same cup it should be in proportion to the other ingredients

Alex321

Veteran
A cup is about proportions not fixed volumes. As long as you use same cup it should be in proportion to the other ingredients

Well it does have to be in proportion to the other measurements. Most recipes using cups will also have ingredients measured in teaspoons or tablespoons or both (and those are generally regarded as fixed, at 5ml and 15ml respectively).

For your own recipes, yes, you can use any cup so long as it is the same one, and it will always be in the same proportion to the other ingredients. But if you are trying to follow somebody else's recipes, you have to know the size of the cup they use, so it does need to be standard for recipes to be exchangeable.

figbat

Slippery scientist
View attachment 628176
People who proudly display the Union Jack, or Union Flag if you prefer... Upside down!

It's not difficult to get it the correct way up, is it?!

We can look forward to millions of upside-down Union Flags this weekend - and indeed millions more that are the right way up but by a 50:50 chance rather than awareness. In some cases it is the manufacturers that are getting it wrong - putting flags on sticks or on bunting the wrong way around etc. :cursing:

Top Bottom