Tyres for canal towpath?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossw46

In the good weather I use my carbon roadbike with carbon wheels and rim brakes (carbon brake tract), and based on my experience of commuting in London with this setup over the past winter, and even wet summer days, the brakes are just completely inadequate once wet.

So, happy days, it's new bike day tomorrow (2nd hand boardman CX bike) that has an Aluminium frame, carbon forks and disc brakes, exactly what I had on my list as something to batter through winter. It has some fairly knobly Schwalbe tyres on looking at the photos. My commute will be about 8 miles towpath, and 6 miles road, in the cold/dark/wet conditions. What's your recommendation on the tyres, leave the knoblies on, or something else?

Also, anyone know of some good mud-guards?

Cheers - Ross

Slick

Guru
I did similar a couple of winter's back and had little trouble with shwalbe durano plus, although everyone will have their favourites. You wouldn't need knobbly tyres on a canal path.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Mainly ride on tarmac myself so can't make a specific recommendation but some of the touring tyres on the Schwalbe website look suited to your commute.

My gut reaction is that Nobblies would be overkill for towpath as Slick has already suggested.

OP
OP
rossw46

rossw46

Thanks, I've ridden a bit of off road in my local forest in the winter where knoblies are essential, and you've confirmed my thoughts that they'll be overkill, I want tyres that'll be ok on the towpath, and also good braking on wet roads with a balance of not too much rolling resistance, I think the Schwalbe Marathon Plus is winning, I looked at the duranos, but I reckong the braking/grip on road will be better with 32mm or 35mm tyres.

Any suggestions on mudguards?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Thanks, I've ridden a bit of off road in my local forest in the winter where knoblies are essential, and you've confirmed my thoughts that they'll be overkill, I want tyres that'll be ok on the towpath, and also good braking on wet roads with a balance of not too much rolling resistance, I think the Schwalbe Marathon Plus is winning, I looked at the duranos, but I reckong the braking/grip on road will be better with 32mm or 35mm tyres.

Any suggestions on mudguards?

Personally I would have metal ones, I kept snapping the plastic ones.

I currently use Specialized plug and play, did snap the rear bracket (a fair bit of bridleway riding killed it), but rather than getting it replaced I drilled a hole in the mudguard and bolted it direct to the frame.

OP
OP
rossw46

rossw46

Happily ride anything on a towpath with no concerns, but maybe that's just me?

I reckon the Conti GP 4000 SII on my road/summer bike would be wrecked fairly quick on the towpath, and for the other section of my commute on cold/wet roads, they're not ideal either. I also think the knobblies currently on the CX bike I'm buying tomorrow are overkill, so I'm looking for the happy medium at the moment, which may be the Schawalbe Marathon Plus...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I will change my recommendation actually. My experience of Continental Grand Sport Race tyres is definitely negative. The replacement Vittoria Randonneur pro tyres have been faultless and puncture free despite some very rough urban abuse. So much so that I have a set waiting to go on my commuter as soon as the current Schwalbes finally die. So basically my recommendation is do not get Continentals.....

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got 32mm Durano (not plus) on my CX team
I didn't like the knobblies, felt slippery on roads (maybe just because I'm used to slick road tyres). I hated M+ in 28 on a prior bike

Mudguards, I have SKS commuters (bought from and fitted by Halfords)

Attachments

• IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

lazyfatgit

I rode schwalbe marathons without too many dramas on towpaths a fair bit. 28mm marathons. Not as heavy (or robust) as the pluses, never had any dramas other than when I got stuck in one long mud patch and ran out of traction.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just bought a Schwalbe Marathon Cross 37c and as I couldn't get a pair a 40c Schwalbe Tyrago. They both have the same tread pattern and recommend tp of 60 psi. Cope very well with soft loose surfaces down here as well as harder tracks. Roll well on the tarmac too. About £15 new in the U.K. Available in 35c.
IMG_0818.JPG

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Also, anyone know of some good mud-guards?
Cheers - Ross
Personally I would have metal ones, I kept snapping the plastic ones.
Personally, my experience would be to go for SKS Chromoplastics because mine have done over 17,000 miles of abusive riding including some off-road and occasional flights of stairs, mixed in with regular bunny hopping up and down kerbs. Apart from the aluminium rivets rotting out they have been trouble free. Can't really ask for more?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
If you have the CX Team you will need to be a bit creative fitting the front mudguard. Mine is a 2014 and has had Schwalbe Land Cruisers in 35C guise for a long time (7000 miles), but I have just switched to Marathon Greenguards as they are about half the weight with the same level on P fairy resistance.
Mudguards are SKS chromoplastics, and been on since day 1 with no issues. Bike is year round commuter and family bike so had it's fair share of roads and towpaths and rain, sleet etc etc.
1st August Ile de Re - La Rochelle Bridge.jpg

Top Bottom