Using someone else's inhaler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I did not know this. Is it cheaper than a prescription charge?

It's well known that Salbutamol inhalers cost about £1.50. However jefmcg hasn't been entirely truthful in his posts, has deliberately omitted parts or is seriously misguided.

It's well known that Salbutamol inhalers cost about £1.50. However jefmcg hasn't been entirely truthful in his posts, has deliberately omitted parts or is seriously misguided.
d) none of the above

Julia9054

Guru
A quick google tells me i can purchase them from £4.99 - £7 by filling in a questionnaire at the pharmacist. This is what i will do from now on as it will save me money. Can't find them for sale for as cheap as £1.50

marinyork

A quick google tells me i can purchase them from £4.99 - £7 by filling in a questionnaire at the pharmacist. This is what i will do from now on as it will save me money. Can't find them for sale for as cheap as £1.50

£1.50 is list price. See what I did there? I was mimicking jefmcg. You can't actually buy them at that, that's the wholesale price. But it is well known that that is the wholesale price and a lot of people say well why can't I just buy them off the shelf I'm being ripped off.

The 'filling in a questionnaire' is part of what is called a PGD (see above). You will find that it is very far from all pharmacies do them. To get them you have to satisfy the pharmacist (far more difficult than you might think given the misleading impression of jefmcg's comments). If you google slightly more you'll get a quick overview of the circumstances you can get them. Even if you turn up there may not be a pharmacist who is trained on that PGD to sell them after a consultation so you may return empty handed.

If it helps, ASDA, which has a lot of 100 hour pharmacies is the most widespread geographically that does that particular PGD that has patient friendly hours.

vickster

Legendary Member
Check the dosage / capacity is the same as the prescribed version

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Lansoprazole?

Yes that's the one. Take half an hour before or after food. Though i think it works best first thing in the morning when you haven't eaten for hours.

marinyork

Yes that's the one. Take half an hour before or after food. Though i think it works best first thing in the morning when you haven't eaten for hours.

Hard to say what you have given the information, it is certainly cough and cold season as it started about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully it is self limiting and will go away soon or either way sorted out if you go and seek further help. If you did have asthma, and I'm not saying in any way you do, make sure a doctor/nurse/pharmacist shows you how to use an inhaler properly.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Hard to say what you have given the information, it is certainly cough and cold season as it started about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully it is self limiting and will go away soon or either way sorted out if you go and seek further help. If you did have asthma, and I'm not saying in any way you do, make sure a doctor/nurse/pharmacist shows you how to use an inhaler properly.

I bit yukky but the coughing up stuff has thickened up today. I've had this many times, it'll eventually turn rubbery and green then it'll stop. It must've been taking deep breathes(when cycling)of the cold dry air that mad me cough so much yesterday.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
make sure a doctor/nurse/pharmacist shows you how to use an inhaler properly.
That's an important point, as apparently lots of people don't use them properly so don't get the full benefit from using an inhaler. I'd still want to be prescribed it if I needed it so it went on my medical records, and to check I was given the best one for my symptoms.

Sandra6

Veteran
Salbutamol is available OTC but must be dispensed by a qualified person. You can't simply pick it up off the shelf.
You have to have been previously prescribed it by a doctor, or go online and satisfy an online doctor that you should be prescribed it.
You can't just walk into boots, asda etc and buy it.
When my son was in dire need and the doctors had closed for xmas I had to jump through several hoops to get a pharmacist to give it him. We were only given it in the end from a chemist where they had a record of him having picked up a prescription previously.

Top Bottom