Vasectomy recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Had it done Thursday 6pm, worked the next day, everything was working normally that night ;):rolleyes: and apart from the stitch I had no pain/discomfort. I left it in a couple of days then removed the single stitch in the bath as it was pulling like mad. It was supposed to melt away on its own. What a relief and after it came out I really didn't know it had been done. I was back to normal cycling the next day.

I had it done under a local anaesthetic. My bro in law had it done under a general and was laid up for weeks!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Had it done Thursday 6pm, worked the next day, everything was working normally that night ;):rolleyes: and apart from the stitch I had no pain/discomfort. I left it in a couple of days then removed the single stitch in the bath as it was pulling like mad. It was supposed to melt away on its own. What a relief and after it came out I really didn't know it had been done. I was back to normal cycling the next day.

I had it done under a local anaesthetic. My bro in law had it done under a general and was laid up for weeks!

:wacko:

Must be you tough Northerners, my Mancunian mate reckons he went home and tested them straight after!

Doseone

Guru
This has brought back memories :biggrin:

Had mine about 8 years ago under local anaesthetic. I'll never forget my doc handling my right testicle like a slippery bar of soap and him saying that he was having a bit of trouble finding the right place to inject :eek:

Afterwards he told me to go home and put a bag of frozen peas on me nads. This is where it started to wrong. The anaesthetic hadn't worn off and I had the peas there far too long and got really bad freeze burns :eek:

To answer the original question though, I was swimming gently within a week, running after a couple of weeks but was nearly a month before I got back on the bike. The op was well worth it though.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had it done privately, the surgeon in the assessment appointment recommended a local as not only a lot cheaper, but better. he said with a general sometimes they had to really grab hold and pull them down before they could operate, this often resulted in post operative bruising and tenderness. My bro-in-laws experiences where he had severe bruising for weeks afterwards tends to support this.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Why am I posting in this thread again :unsure:
Quick tip to getting back in the saddle more quickly, don't use use a hair removal type product, sensitive my arse, I left it on too long and ended up looking like a burns victim, God knows what the hospital staff thought. It was red raw and I would not have wanted to sit on a saddle afterwards!

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Local anaethestic is best, Doctors tend to be a bit more careful if you are looking them in the eye.

Everyone I know who had a general anaesthetic was out of commission for much longer.

I had mine done last year and went swimming in the sea a week later (good for healing the wound).

I didn't go near the pool because it is basically a toxic bacterial soup, ready to give my poor old nads a nasty infection.

I was back on the bike in 2 weeks (took it easy at first).

Having had mine done under a local anaesthetic I can distinctly remember the sensation of tubes being pulled and mauled around with :wacko:
Remember this only too well, also like Mozzy said, I removed all the hair! Had two student doctors in watching the op, one woman, one bloke, really embarrassed when the surgeon said 'your natural defences are working really well' apparently at times of stress the male natural reaction is for your sack to shrink and your balls to try to hide inside you, my sack shrunk to and looked like a walnut!!!!

screenman

Legendary Member
I let them do the shaving, well I was paying for it out of my own pocket, anyway the nurse grabs a new Gillete bit of shaving cream and scrapes away a bit about an inch square.

Now the worse bit of my op, sit down as this may take a while. The little green gown that ties up at the back, well I had this on and wanted a pee so I has one and there on the end was the little damp bit sometimes left, now I knew being clever like that if I put the old fella back inside that gown I was going to get a damp patch. So I shake it, I dry it, and even banged the damn thing on the sink, slips it back inside the gown walk down the corridor with a nice damp patch still showing. Still I tried, dignity is out of the window in those stupid gowns.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I let them do the shaving, well I was paying for it out of my own pocket, anyway the nurse grabs a new Gillete bit of shaving cream and scrapes away a bit about an inch square.

My nurse shaved my pubes into a heart shape, and wrote her phone number on my left testicle
smile.gif

*this may be a dream I had

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Two weeks is a good guide, i wouldn't rush into swimming as infection is the most common post op problem.

I had an infection, which took an extra week or so to clear-up, far more painful than the Op which to be honest was no worst than havuing a tooth out ... and far more benificial.

Top Bottom