Vasectomy recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Wow this is a thread revival !!! Just looked up to see what I’d written. So ok nothing is without risk , however if all goes well . A couple of weeks for me was about right. Some folk had no bother at all . I got an infection which I hadn’t realised. I thought it was just post op swelling ! Apparently not !
If you feel ok and it’s not uncomfortable then bash on. Just as an are memoir you need to provide samples :whistle: for the First couple of weeks to make sure you have Olympic swimmers :laugh:

the_craig

Über Member
Wow this is a thread revival !!! Just looked up to see what I’d written. So ok nothing is without risk , however if all goes well . A couple of weeks for me was about right. Some folk had no bother at all . I got an infection which I hadn’t realised. I thought it was just post op swelling ! Apparently not !
If you feel ok and it’s not uncomfortable then bash on. Just as an are memoir you need to provide samples :whistle: for the First couple of weeks to make sure you have Olympic swimmers :laugh:

This is the most recent thread on the topic, so I thought it was worthy of a bump...

It's 16 weeks that I have to wait until I have to hand my sample in. and living an hour away from the lab with fair traffic is a challenge. I can see me having to book a room and obtain my sample...

Landsurfer

Veteran
Went the 35 miles to my op on the motorbike, and rode the 35 miles back home .... with nuts like large black plums .... 4 weeks later rode a 10MTT ...
6 years later had the vasectomy reversed ..... but it didn’t work out ....
Just as well, as we have had 4 children in and out and in of our care for 17 years ...
It was meant to be, is Julies take on it, we would have loved to have our own child but have our life full of children to this day ...

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Mine was about ten years ago and was a local anaesthetic, pain and complication free, while-you-wait job. Top tip from experience: don’t try to sit up to watch what’s happening once they’ve started because everything gets pulled back up inside.:eek:

I was off the bike for about ten days, more precautionary than necessary.

I’d be more impressed if you’d managed your girlfriend/partner as well. :smile:
Saved that till Sunday night.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BUMP!

So I'm booked in to get my wings clipped on the 9th of February under local anaesthetic after 2 kids and many years of 'getting off at Haymarket' (A reference only those North of the Border may get). I was just searching for advice on how long I may be off the bike as I'm working towards the big Etape Caledonia in May and didn't want to be laid up too long. Reading through this and other threads, the consensus seems to be around two weeks off, everything going well. I post on another couple of forums and there's fellas who post there who have got proper horror stories. Coming on here and hearing everyone having a 'straight forward' post op phase is very reassuring.

I'll check in nearer the time and maybe have a funny tale to tell.

Varies. I was off the bike about a month, but mine went very badly. Still cycled but in pain. Would rather forget about it, but entailed another major operation a year later, then two further visits for injections directly into the left one. Nothing cured the pain, and whilst not as bad these days, bear in mind 1 in 10 get long term pain. Almost 10 years since I was done and I get pain most of the time. Oh and the surgery knackered lefty as the original op, the GP severed blood vessels (anesthetic didn't take either) and I'm on testosterone replacement.

Whilst for the majority it goes well, I wouldn't wish what I had on anyone. I even asked my consultant to remove both, but he said it probably wouldn't remove the pain. Lots of very sensitive nerves down there, and when you consider the vas isn't a tube on it's own, it's intertwined with nerves and blood vessels.

Oh and I waited for 'off season' - e.g. October to get done.

Good luck, I can't recommend it. As has been said, it's surgery and it can go wrong. When I broke my spine the consultant said 'we can operate today but you might not walk tomorrow - as you very well know, surgery can go wrong'. I had no hesitation in opting for 6 weeks flat on my back instead.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Varies. I was off the bike about a month, but mine went very badly. Still cycled but in pain. Would rather forget about it, but entailed another major operation a year later, then two further visits for injections directly into the left one. Nothing cured the pain, and whilst not as bad these days, bear in mind 1 in 10 get long term pain. Almost 10 years since I was done and I get pain most of the time. Oh and the surgery knackered lefty as the original op, the GP severed blood vessels (anesthetic didn't take either) and I'm on testosterone replacement.

Whilst for the majority it goes well, I wouldn't wish what I had on anyone. I even asked my consultant to remove both, but he said it probably wouldn't remove the pain. Lots of very sensitive nerves down there, and when you consider the vas isn't a tube on it's own, it's intertwined with nerves and blood vessels.

Oh and I waited for 'off season' - e.g. October to get done.

Good luck, I can't recommend it. As has been said, it's surgery and it can go wrong. When I broke my spine the consultant said 'we can operate today but you might not walk tomorrow - as you very well know, surgery can go wrong'. I had no hesitation in opting for 6 weeks flat on my back instead.
Sounds like the vasectomy that went wrong with an ex colleague I referred to. It was an utter disaster ! Pain for years , ops to get it fixed but cost home a lot !! To be honest if I’d read a thread like this I’d be nervous !!

Top Bottom