Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Global Nomad

Regular
Well today I managed to find the gap in the rain and go out and complete my tiling goal for the year - every tile within the m25 has now been ridden...the max square jumped up to 32x32 too with that last corner...not sure what the next goal/motivation will be, either a square to encompass the m25 or something different like all the SE 100 climbs...but for now i can pause the tiling
Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 15.38.15.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 16.01.34.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 16.01.49.png

13 rider

Guru
@Global Nomad out of curiosity when did you do the Dragon tour ? . I did it 2019 and just wondered in we had sort of riden together

Global Nomad

Regular
@13 rider yes I did it in 2019...did you do the 300km? I had a place this year that I gave up when I got a place on the fred whitton but alas we know what happened next...did the dragon tour as well, so a lot of riding that weekend and the last 2 or 3 hours (at least) was pretty much solo..still managed 14:02 hrs / 12:58 riding....also walked up the devils staircase - didn't have the strength nor the gearing for it...

13 rider

Guru
@13 rider yes I did it in 2019...did you do the 300km? I had a place this year that I gave up when I got a place on the fred whitton but alas we know what happened next...did the dragon tour as well, so a lot of riding that weekend and the last 2 or 3 hours (at least) was pretty much solo..still managed 14:02 hrs / 12:58 riding....also walked up the devils staircase - didn't have the strength nor the gearing for it...
No I did the medio (150) on the Sunday . Did the the tour as well so we've sort of ride together 3 times . I did the long route on the Friday ,I've never been so wet on a bike .

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Did my century qualifier today & used the opportunity to grab a few new squares. Went over the humber bridge & grabbed a couple of squares there which now takes my cluster over into Lincs :okay: 18 new squares, now 3368, but max cluster up from 773 to 819, gonna work on building that more now as I'm really limited with options on my max sq

An extra 44 tiles today riding out to Peterborough. Good increase on the max cluster. It was a really nice ride with a good tailwind and the hills felt achievable all the time. Stopped at a bakers in Uppingham which was lovely and then kept climbing hills until Peterborough!

steverob

Guru
I finally did it - my main cluster of tiles (centred around Buckinghamshire) is now connected to my smaller London cluster! Did the setup work on one ride almost 16 months ago, but have only just managed to get round to doing the other ride which adds enough new tiles to turn everything a nice purple colour.

Turned off all the other red lines on the map for the GIF above, because it just looked incredibly messy - you couldn't see what it was I'd actually done if I'd have left them on!

37 new tiles on the actual ride itself, 106 added to max cluster.

Solocle

Über Member
I finally did it - my main cluster of tiles (centred around Buckinghamshire) is now connected to my smaller London cluster! Did the setup work on one ride almost 16 months ago, but have only just managed to get round to doing the other ride which adds enough new tiles to turn everything a nice purple colour.

View attachment 552633

Turned off all the other red lines on the map for the GIF above, because it just looked incredibly messy - you couldn't see what it was I'd actually done if I'd have left them on!

37 new tiles on the actual ride itself, 106 added to max cluster.
That's one that would have been on my radar had I been going back to uni.
1602788828017.png

steverob

Guru
It's something I'd wanted to do for a while, especially once I'd realised how large my London cluster was getting. I mean, it wasn't actually all that big compared to my main cluster, but it was a lot larger than any of my other isolated clusters, plus it was pretty compact, in that there weren't many missing tiles in the middle of it.

While my route into London was a little circuitous, that was mainly because I'd specifically picked a way that kept me on suburban roads and away from the main roads for as long as possible, so it turns out that I was crossing off most of the tiles I needed without having to go too far out of my way. In fact there was only one point where I had to go down a route then pull a u-turn and come back the same way to get a tile, and that was before I even got into London itself. Admittedly there was the Swains Lane (nearly) loop which added two extra tiles, but I was wanting to do that climb anyway, so I'd have got them eventually even if I hadn't done them today (and it made sense as I was going right past it).

Last edited:

Solocle

Über Member
I've pretty much got Dorset surrounded with tiles now (or the sea).
capture4.jpg

7 tiles have escaped my clutches, all in the same area (Hengistbury-Highcliffe on Sea)

Makes planning that little bit easier

Attachments

• capture4.jpg
    capture4.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Solocle

Über Member
This was today's plan:
1604252753020.png

Sadly, I got a puncture just as I entered the top of the screen, and couldn't sort the thing.

Not sure how many more squares are achievable this year with lockdown resuming. I've a few squares that I can target with 100km rides but not sure how much I'll want to do them without cake

Trickedem

Guru
I've just got started on this crazy game. Bit annoying that yesterday I was about 300 m from a tile that I didn't have that is about 25 miles from home!
My current stats are:
13217 tiles, average of 2.784 mi per tile
Max square 12x12
Max Cluster: 1220
I think I will try and do all the squares in Kent during 2021.

velov.jpg

Top Bottom