Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So,thanks to this thread ;), I'm now obsessing about ticking off the squares round here! However, there are several squares that are causing me trouble due to no roads running through them (highlighted with black boarders!). I'm currently on 9x8 with 4 squares (requiring mtb or getting off and walking) stopping me from getting to 14x9! You'd never guess that I actually live about 5 miles from the top right of the blue square!

View attachment 350901
How is the black highlighting done please?

@graham bowers, it appears to be back up now!

Magic. I've completed uploading my historic rides to Strava (I've logged to RWGPS since late 2015). I have several VV 6 by 6 squares - lots of potential as an estate agent may say ;-))

Attachments

• explorer.png
    explorer.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 66

steverob

Guru
During my injury enforced lay-off from cycling, I've gotten a bit bored and have resorted to scoping out future routes that I can do to increase the number of squares covered once I get back on the bike, and more importantly back to full fitness. To this end, I've plotted my current squares on an Excel spreadsheet (I found it makes it a lot easier to see everything without the background map in the way) and have added in the squares that I'll cover if I do end up doing those planned routes.

Capture.JPG

Told you I was bored!

Yellow are the squares I've already covered, the black border is my current largest contiguous square (17x18) and the various shades of orange and brown (numbered) are the routes I've planned in Strava already - just by doing routes 1 and 4 only, I would increase my largest square to 19x20. Also, the green marked area is my home town of Aylesbury (the X being the square where I live) to give you an idea of how far I'll have to travel to reach the edges of my current map. I'll admit that most of these routes are just to fill in annoying gaps in the map and won't have any effect on my largest square size, but I'm a bit of a completist in that way.

If I could just cover that one blank square to the south of Aylesbury, that would dramatically expand my largest square (in one direction at least), but this will probably require a walk in the country - quite a few footpaths cross this square but none of them are cycle-able. The blank squares to the west are a lot harder however - no plans for these at the moment.

HorTs

Über Member
I think Velo Viewer Explorer Squares deserses its own thread.

wajc

Veteran
After my ride last weekend I'm up to 24 x 24. The goal posts keep moving though - you now need 30 x 30 to get on the leader board.

For info for those considering or already taking part in this endeavour madness, the Veloviewer extension for Chrome mentioned up thread is a great help. Obviously Google Streetview and Satellite Images as well, but also Bing Maps https://www.bing.com/maps as it has an option to view the Ordnance Survey Map which helps with identifying any footpaths/bridleways/tracks etc you may need to 'cycle' along.

Last edited:

wajc

Veteran
There has been a big update by Ben on Veloviewer allowing him to be far more accurate on how he identifies whether or not you have actually entered a square.

http://blog.veloviewer.com/explorer-tile-calculation-updates/

For me the effect has been to reduce my max square from 24 x 24, to 14 x 14.

Others have obviously been hit harder as I have now appeared on the leader board in 20th position which was my aim.

I could stop now :addict: -

It's been mentioned on the other vv thread. It hit me quite hard to be honest but shouldn't be too difficult to regain that lost ground.

wajc

Veteran
I'm off the leader board now, must be taking a while to get everybody's data processed, I'd imagine it's quite a task. To be honest I've already been looking at what I need to do to regain those squares - so won't be stopping yet !

I'll take a look at the other thread thanks.

Top Bottom