Weight Watcher's Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Interesting (I think) observation over the past few days...

On my "official" weigh day on Monday I weighed 92.5kg. I'd actually been down at 91.8kg on Saturday (always weighing naked, after toilet, first thing in the morning), but such fluctuations happen.

Monday evening I was very tired and went to bed early, and Tuesday I felt I had no energy at all. I also weighed in at 93.5kg, and +1.7kg in 3 days is way outside my usual fluctuations (and I'd still been maintaining a daily calorie deficit, so it really couldn't be fat gain). I also happen to be monitoring my blood pressure this week (it's an ongoing survey that I'm part of), and it was elevated on Monday evening and Tuesday morning.

Could be coming down with something, but I guessed I was probably just a bit zonked by lots of exercise (I've been doing at least 2 hours a day of what Fitbit rates "active minutes", and a lot more on cycling days) and not enough food, and reading around it seems that can lead to water retention through low blood sugar and raised cortisol levels. (There's an interesting take on cortisol effects at https://legionathletics.com/water-retention/, if you can get through the promotional style).

So I had a day of eating a lot more than usual, and I also kept the salt down and had a few bananas for potassium (as a sodium/potassium imbalance can also lead to water retention). I also had a relative rest day from exercise, counting up a mere 73 minutes partly through going for a late afternoon walk.

By Tuesday evening I felt much better and my blood pressure was back to normal - and I woke up three times during the night for a pee (when it's usually once at most). Wednesday morning, my weight is back down to 91.9kg, and a drop of 1.6kg in 24 hours can really only be water loss.

This is only a one-off annecdatum, but I think it does support the idea that overdoing it can lead to water retention and apparently poor weight loss or even weight gain in the short term. So have a day off every now and then :okay:

si_c

Guru
Interesting (I think) observation over the past few days...

On my "official" weigh day on Monday I weighed 92.5kg. I'd actually been down at 91.8kg on Saturday (always weighing naked, after toilet, first thing in the morning), but such fluctuations happen.

Monday evening I was very tired and went to bed early, and Tuesday I felt I had no energy at all. I also weighed in at 93.5kg, and +1.7kg in 3 days is way outside my usual fluctuations (and I'd still been maintaining a daily calorie deficit, so it really couldn't be fat gain). I also happen to be monitoring my blood pressure this week (it's an ongoing survey that I'm part of), and it was elevated on Monday evening and Tuesday morning.

Could be coming down with something, but I guessed I was probably just a bit zonked by lots of exercise (I've been doing at least 2 hours a day of what Fitbit rates "active minutes", and a lot more on cycling days) and not enough food, and reading around it seems that can lead to water retention through low blood sugar and raised cortisol levels. (There's an interesting take on cortisol effects at https://legionathletics.com/water-retention/, if you can get through the promotional style).

So I had a day of eating a lot more than usual, and I also kept the salt down and had a few bananas for potassium (as a sodium/potassium imbalance can also lead to water retention). I also had a relative rest day from exercise, counting up a mere 73 minutes partly through going for a late afternoon walk.

By Tuesday evening I felt much better and my blood pressure was back to normal - and I woke up three times during the night for a pee (when it's usually once at most). Wednesday morning, my weight is back down to 91.9kg, and a drop of 1.6kg in 24 hours can really only be water loss.

This is only a one-off annecdatum, but I think it does support the idea that overdoing it can lead to water retention and apparently poor weight loss or even weight gain in the short term. So have a day off every now and then :okay:

Water retention is a bugger. Although I track my weight and keep an eye on it, I use bio-impedance scales and pay more attention to my Body Fat % and Water % - as long as the fat % is going in the right direction then I tend not to worry about weight gain or not losing anything. I find that if I'm overtraining and/or under the weather then my weight doesn't track as it should, similarly to what you're finding.

Alan O

Über Member
Strange week this week. After my over-exercise and water-retention thing, I had two complete rest days Wednesday and Thursday, then back to exercise - 13 mile ride Friday, gym session Saturday, and 37 mile ride Sunday (with chocolate cake).

I kept myself pretty much calorie neutral throughout, and I've ended the week with a 0.2kg gain at 92.7kg - down 5.1kg since the beginning of January.

So a bit of a plateau encounter, but I understand more about why it happens now, and I'm happy that I'm still losing fat.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Still the same this week as I was last. Which given that I haven't really moderated my eating this week is pretty good. 92kg again.

Been watching my fatigue levels the last few weeks, as having been a bit under the weather I've been suffering a bit. Definitely feeling better today on the bike, so will try and ramp up the exercise levels this week see if I can kickstart the weight loss again.

groundy74

Weight loss going great lost 4 lbs this week which takes my total loss so far to 25 lbs getting back on the bike managing 50 miles last week plus spin class and visit to the gym and PT session. Once the Total Loser sessions are over, I'm planning on following a 12 week training plan to get me ready for riding Ride London 100.

Having a few drinks again now but have cut down significantly on what I drank previously and feeling better for it, far less stressed and far less anxious.

si_c

Guru
Weight loss going great lost 4 lbs this week which takes my total loss so far to 25 lbs getting back on the bike managing 50 miles last week plus spin class and visit to the gym and PT session. Once the Total Loser sessions are over, I'm planning on following a 12 week training plan to get me ready for riding Ride London 100.

Having a few drinks again now but have cut down significantly on what I drank previously and feeling better for it, far less stressed and far less anxious.
Cutting out alcohol is one of the best ways to lose weight. I really notice it now if I have a couple of drinks, both in terms of calorie intake and also water retention stays higher for a few days after drinking.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Only about 2" to go from my waist now!

I got a pair of black cords for Christmas and made sure that they were the size that I want to be rather than the size that I was at the time. I realised that I will probably never have a 32" waist again but decided that 34" was a sensible/realistic target to aim for.

I want to be able to wear the trousers in comfort (not breathing in and holding my breath!) by the summer. I think I will achieve that. If I somehow lose the extra 2" to get back to my teenage 32" waist measurement then I will use a belt to hold the trousers up.

Alan O

Über Member
Strange week this week. After my over-exercise and water-retention thing, I had two complete rest days Wednesday and Thursday, then back to exercise - 13 mile ride Friday, gym session Saturday, and 37 mile ride Sunday (with chocolate cake).

I kept myself pretty much calorie neutral throughout, and I've ended the week with a 0.2kg gain at 92.7kg - down 5.1kg since the beginning of January.

So a bit of a plateau encounter, but I understand more about why it happens now, and I'm happy that I'm still losing fat.
And this week, easing myself back into calorie deficit and approaching my exercise modestly (a couple of gym sessions and about 35 miles of walking, as the weather has kept me off the bike), I've lost 0.6kg to reach 92.1kg, for an overall loss of 5.7kg so far this year.

si_c

Guru
And this week, easing myself back into calorie deficit and approaching my exercise modestly (a couple of gym sessions and about 35 miles of walking, as the weather has kept me off the bike), I've lost 0.6kg to reach 92.1kg, for an overall loss of 5.7kg so far this year.
Not bad going given you've been off the bike!

I was down to 91 on friday, which dropped to 89.8 after my ride on saturday. But then I went out and over-ate yesterday, so we'll have to see where I am mid-week really. Bit disappointed in myself from one side, but then on the otherside, mmmm tasty food.

groundy74

Another 5lbs off this week takes me to 2 stone in 7 weeks, very happy but a long way to go. Joined a new gym making better use of it and out on the bike at least 3 times a week slowly building the miles back up

Alan O

Über Member
Strange week with my weight up and down, despite a steady modest calorie deficit. 40-mile ride Saturday (with big calorie deficit) and the next morning my weight was up about a kilo. Lazy Sunday doing nothing, and it was back down again Monday morning.

For the week I managed a loss of just 0.1kg, to 92kg.

Top Bottom