Weight Watcher's Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
6.2 lbs lost in a week!

I don't have many things going for me, but one thing I have in spades is a will of iron - once I've vowed to stop snacking, eat sensibly, and up the weights and cycling then it becomes an all encompassing quest. To fail would, in my own mind, bring me ultimate shame and make me think of myself as weak, so in situations like this my iron will (or sheer, complete and utter bloody mindedness) is a useful tool to harness.

So yeah, doing well. Aiming for about the 230lb mark, which I think I can maintain an with a fair amount of lean bulk - big, but not so much so that my joints and heart will suffer with age. Don't want to end up like Michael Clarke Duncan.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know that I am about 10 kgs (1.5 stone) over the weight that I prefer to be but I figured that at 1.86 m (6' 1") tall there was no urgency in shifting it. Then I got the tape measure out... :whistle:

Yikes - nearly all of that excess weight seems to be sitting round a very unhealthy waist - it is now 104 cm (41")!!! :eek: I don't suppose that I will ever get back down to my youthful slimness, but I definitely don't want my waist to be bigger than 89 cm (35"), and preferably it would be significantly smaller than that.

Time to get serious again... I'll be back with a progress report in September!

ColinJ

Yikes - nearly all of that excess weight seems to be sitting round a very unhealthy waist - it is now 104 cm (41")!!! :eek: I don't suppose that I will ever get back down to my youthful slimness, but I definitely don't want my waist to be bigger than 89 cm (35"), and preferably it would be significantly smaller than that.

Time to get serious again... I'll be back with a progress report in September!
Ah, yes... :whistle:

Actually, good news! My waist is down to 96.5 cm (38") after me losing around 2.5 kg (~5.5 lb). :okay:

What I did:
  • I stopped drinking 1/3 litre of OJ a night. I was drinking it mixed with 2/3 litre of chilled water (I started when I gave up booze in 2012). Now I just have the water.
  • I cut out the portion of brazil nuts and raisins that I was having most nights.
  • I started eating half a tub of houmous/cottage cheese at a time rather than a whole tub. If I am having cheddar now, I grate half the amount that I was slicing before. It goes a lot further as cheesy flakes rather than slices! I buy mature cheddar which has a strong flavour, so a little goes a long way.
  • I keeping my portions of muesli down to a level scoop rather than the maximum that my scoop can carry to the bowl!
These pretty minor changes have had a significant effect. If I were doing my usual amount of cycling, the weight would be dropping off me but I have been averaging only 50 - 80 km/week (~30 - 50 miles) rather than my usual weekly distance which is double that. Must try harder, though with the weather on the turn, that might not happen until the spring!

Thats excellent. I must admit, when there was no update, I thought your weight might have gone up! If I had lost what you had I would be shouting it from the rooftops - well done.
Like the grated cheese tip, will take that forward from now on :-)

ColinJ

Like the grated cheese tip, will take that forward from now on :-)
I now cut the amount that I want off the block of cheese before grating it. I always grated too much before so I now start off with (say) 50g of cheese rather than just grating away at the block until I thought "that looks about right"!

I find portion control difficult so I now weigh pasta/rice/couscous rather than guessing how much to cook. As a result I have reduced my portions by 20-25% without really feeling that I am depriving myself.

Drago

Legendary Member
18st 0.5lb as of this morning. Not been dieting as such, butnive been very strict about junk and snacking. Ive also ratcheded up the cardio and the intensity of the weights 6 days a week. If I can ratchet that down another 10lbs - and, more importantly, keep it there - ill be very lean, bulked and happy.

Can I offer up some encouragement to you if you’re looking at managing your weight downwards?

I rose to over 15st in my mid 40s, having been slim for most of my life. I’m 5ft 11.
Through cycling, and an ever changing control for ‘food in, energy out’, I wanted to ease towards a better weight and health status, and I now fluctuate between 11’ 10 and 12’ 4. My fitness has improved too.
It wasn’t really about one thing, one method, or another, more a full change, and I don’t cycle as much as I would like, but I have no need for meat, alcohol, dairy, or (much) sugar.(This wouldn’t work for everybody, of course - just my way).
Being interested is what worked for me. I watched my parents mobility decline rapidly, and consequently their health, eventually killing my dad, and making my mum totally bed ridden.
Lethargy and rising weight isn’t necessarily bad, but is likely to have a cost.

So we’ll done everyone, and much strength to you for continuing in your efforts.
I’m now a shadow of my 15’ self!

IMG_1797.png

Last edited:

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Having spent a few years lifting weights 5 x week, I was hovering around 87kg - 88kg. I’m only 5’8’’ short so my BMI was horrendous. I started cycling in June 2020 and was determined to drop back to a ‘normal’ BMI. Target was 73.5kg and to date I’m at 75kg ... so only 1.5kg to go now. I don’t ‘diet’ as such, but I cut out all snacks, sweets and useless calories. I don’t drink at all (I’ve drunk my share with 12 years in The Army). I have noticed my daily HIIT sessions are getting progressively more difficult, due in part to there being so little in reserve - I’m hoping once I return to maintenance nutrition I’ll notice an upturn in strength and endurance .... we’ll see :whistle:.
Here’s a pic of me pre weight loss ...

ColinJ

Having spent a few years lifting weights 5 x week, I was hovering around 87kg - 88kg. I’m only 5’8’’ short so my BMI was horrendous. I started cycling in June 2020 and was determined to drop back to a ‘normal’ BMI. Target was 73.5kg and to date I’m at 75kg ... so only 1.5kg to go now. I don’t ‘diet’ as such, but I cut out all snacks, sweets and useless calories. I don’t drink at all (I’ve drunk my share with 12 years in The Army). I have noticed my daily HIIT sessions are getting progressively more difficult, due in part to there being so little in reserve - I’m hoping once I return to maintenance nutrition I’ll notice an upturn in strength and endurance .... we’ll see :whistle:.
Here’s a pic of me pre weight loss ... View attachment 567078
Have you got a post weight loss picture? :whistle:

That reminds me that I ought to do some upper body exercise - I'm scrawny with flab! :laugh:

I'm currently stable halfway between where I was and where I want to be. A good winter will see me though to my target. A bad winter will see me back at square one (or worse)!

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Have you got a post weight loss picture? :whistle:

That reminds me that I ought to do some upper body exercise - I'm scrawny with flab! :laugh:

I'm currently stable halfway between where I was and where I want to be. A good winter will see me though to my target. A bad winter will see me back at square one (or worse)!
Let’s hope for a good winter then Colin :okay:
I have a pic from a couple of months ago that hopefully shows less girth … I’ve still not made my target weight but I’m over 10 kg down on original so pleased overall, my doc and cardiologist were pleased too :whistle:

Top Bottom