What gig did you go to last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Madness at the O2 arena London.
Brilliant stuff. The last time I saw them was in 1996 at one of the Madstock shows. They can still put on a brilliant show. Thoroughly enjoyable.
20181214_205617.jpg

20181214_200117.jpg

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Madness at the O2 arena London.
Brilliant stuff. The last time I saw them was in 1996 at one of the Madstock shows. They can still put on a brilliant show. Thoroughly enjoyable.
View attachment 442652

View attachment 442653
You must have been a lot nearer that I was. I try to get Block 106/107 facing the stage. Fratellis were, um, fast :wahhey: and we thought the sound from Madness was a bit distorted, but still great.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You must have been a lot nearer that I was. I try to get Block 106/107 facing the stage. Fratellis were, um, fast :wahhey: and we thought the sound from Madness was a bit distorted, but still great.
Right at the front of block 112. Perfect location. The sound was a bit distorted and also not loud enough. I didn't see the Fratellis. I was in the bar :cheers:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Found some old ticket stubs going back a few years in the far reaches of the loft.

View attachment 447121
Oh, for such ticket prices these days! :smile: Saw Sabbath on the final tour a couple of years back, £90....! That said, some of those gigs were really expensive back in the day, given inflation etc- even in the 90s a lot of my tickets were under a tenner, or not much more...eg, I had one of these myself (can't remember for which of the four booked nights), never used, obviously....
nirvana-ticket-brixton-academy-sunday_360_55f49e68ed001ae44fbe7ae9943f4791.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Pip Blom at the John Peel Centre in Stowmarket as part of Independant Venue Week has staarted this year's gig list. They need to sort out the sound balance as Pip's voice was over powered by the guitar & bass, but otherwise a great way of spending a Friday evening.

The support act was Eton Crop who had apparently done a few Peel Sessions in the '80s and weere headed by...Pip's dad!

Lullabelle

Banana
Not a gig but a comedy show, Ed Gamble, he was ok, wouldn't see him again unless he was part of a show where he was only on for 20 minutes, he is a small doses comedian.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm turning 50 this year so have set myself the challenge of going to fifty gigs.

Last night I went to see Gideon Conn... a singer/poet whom I'd never heard of before yesterday afternoon. It was a very intimate gig in a small local cafe with only 30ish folk in the audience. It was quirky. It was quiet. It was a rare gem of an evening.

Last month I went to see The Uptown Monotones... an Austrian trio; three blokes, three microphones, one guitar and the occasional harmonica, jew's harp, didgeridoo and a boombox thing. Another intimate gig in a (very) small local pub. It was absolutely rammed and absolutely bouncing. Playing a mixture of covers and originals, these guys really know how to play a crowd... they've got a cr*p name but they're absolutely fantastic. Their infectious act doesn't really come across on youtube vids... these guys must be seen live.

here's one of their trailers

And in January it was BC Camplight... the name was familiar from listening to 6music but other than that, I knew nothing about them. It was in the library one Sunday afternoon so again, quite intimate... and noisy. They were good, really good.

Only another 47 gigs to find this year... got a few lined up including Bodega, Damo Suzuki, The Unthanks, Gong, Steve Hillage and The Rutles.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not a gig in the normal sense but my 13 yo granddaughters school offering of 'we will rock you', with my gd in the pit band playing bass guitar.
2 hours for 4 nights, plus practice, she was exhausted bless her...and shes got another one to go yet.
Good show, some very very adult lines :whistle: made for a lot of laughter from the audience.

The band played brilliantly, I never detected one bum note :okay:

Oh, for such ticket prices these days! :smile: Saw Sabbath on the final tour a couple of years back, £90....! That said, some of those gigs were really expensive back in the day, given inflation etc- even in the 90s a lot of my tickets were under a tenner, or not much more...eg, I had one of these myself (can't remember for which of the four booked nights), never used, obviously....
View attachment 447226

Glad you put the Nirvana ticket up, leads me to a question that has been bugging me for years. Most pop group names seem to be single use but we had a 60's Nirvana (Rainbow Chaser etc) and then this later Nirvana. How does that work?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Glad you put the Nirvana ticket up, leads me to a question that has been bugging me for years. Most pop group names seem to be single use but we had a 60's Nirvana (Rainbow Chaser etc) and then this later Nirvana. How does that work?
The first Nirvana filed a lawsuit in the US over the name, a settlement was made & both groups' material continued to be released without disclaimers about 'not the Seattle band' etc.

Top Bottom