What gig did you go to last night?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by TwickenhamCyclist, 1 Nov 2016.

1. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Love the Ritz as a venue,had some good nights in there.

2. wormo

wormo Über Member

Now that it is part of O2, I get advanced booking for gigs

3. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Tuesday night's gig was the seemingly immortal Gong in Glasgow. Fifty years after the band formed in the fields of northern France, I still can't quite believe that they're still going, albeit with a line up that would have been toddlers in Gong's heyday. Excellent stuff with excellent support from Ed Wynne (ex-Ozric Tentacles). This time snooker legend Steve Davis was spotted in the audience.

9 gigs down, 41 to go.

4. MontyVeda

Last night's gig was The Rutles in Preston... I saw them last year in Morecambe and was most impressed by their charm, wit and musicianship. It's also nice, having just turned 50, feeling like a relative youngster in the audience.

10 gigs down, 40 to go.

Last edited: 25 May 2019
    raleighnut likes this.
  5. DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

Fab night à la Francaise at the O2 Empire on Thursday:

6. Chris S

Chris S Guru

On Friday I went to see 'Take the Fifth', a Clash tribute band. It was the first time they'd played Birmingham for 10 years. After a while I began to recognize most of the audience and realized that they were the same people who had went to their gigs 10 years earlier. Then one or two of them recognized me. It was a bit like being at a school reunion.

raleighnut likes this.
  7. Okay, not last night, but this month

As seen Here

Not seen them since the tour for their 'Blast Off' tour (1989 - 1990?)

Should be good

This is the opening track, on their new CD

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puUM7mgehPM&fbclid=IwAR1_lMuwVYZGaajC0JuY80bEJ4zgQTrnBsJzPFObp-Bom82J9cjHJ5ushyk

Scary that the title reflects their time together (including the splits... like almost any band, but with no personnel changes)
    It came in a box....
    61523630_10217482206839354_5783486322366742528_n.jpg

CD
    2 x 'coasters'
    2 x stickers
    1 x concert postcard
    61311436_10217482206959357_3431337432488869888_n.jpg

It's a real shame that there probably isn't any viability in his bringing the Brian Setzer Orchestra over here, to tour

8. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

A couple of weeks ago I went to see VNV Nation and it was up there as one of the best gigs I have ever been to. I love the music anyway, but it was so wholesome and inclusive which is something I've never experienced at a gig before and amplified the experience.

Next up is Cowboy Junkies, then InMe later in the year.

9. gaz71

gaz71 Über Member

In the last 3 weeks ive seen Lewis Capaldi,well i was in the same venue as him.It was so busy when we got in we couldnt find a spot to see him so me and other half just sat and listened.He wasnt bad but i cant see what all the fuss is about.A week later i saw The Amazons which i enjoyed,then last night saw Bastille who put on a great show.All 3 gigs were at the Pryzm nightclub in Kingston.

10. MontyVeda

Last night's gig was The Steve Hillage Band in Manchester. He's one of the UK's most underrated guitarists and is probably best known for pioneering ambient house with his System 7 project in the early 90s... but last night was a celebration of his 70s stuff... all hippy dippy and trippy. An awesome set from a 68 year old and his trusty little Steinburger guitar.

11 down, 39 to go.

11. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

Tonight's gig actually. Chic at Newmarket racecourse. My 8 yo daughter's first gig, proper. Absolutely brilliant, jaw-droppingly so, everything we hoped and more.

MontyVeda likes this.
  12. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Last night "London Calling" a Clash tribute band in Bristol - really really good. Was, and still am, a fan of the Clash, though never went to see them back in the day. This band really did them justice - they rocked !

And tonight, saw a performance of Montiverdi Vespers - again fantastic from the opening fanfares all the end. The singers were astonishingly good ably supported by the sackbuts, cornets (ie the wooden pre-trumpet with recorder like holes) and giant lute as well as more normal strings. Not bad to still be performed after 400 years. There was a slightly surreal moment when I thought someone was having a spliff, which would be a bit naughty in a cathedral after all, but they were actually burning incense , presumably to help convey the original liturgical purpose of the piece

13. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I saw Divine Comedy launch their new album at Pryzm on Wednesday. Under £20 with a copy of their new CD in Deluxe double guide :okay:
    Neil Hannon mercilessly ripped the pee out of the venue With quips about foam parties after the gig :laugh:

raleighnut likes this.
  14. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Neil Hannon is a genius

raleighnut and AndyRM like this.
  15. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

IMG_20190608_211925858_BURST000_COVER.jpg The Kaiser Chiefs at Elland Road, headlining the Leeds United Centenary gig.

I doubt that there is a better band in the UK right now for getting a crowd involved. Beyond awesome.

The support bands were good too, even though Gaz Coombes despite being listed as "from Supergrass" chose not to play a single one of their songs...

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...-coming-gig-in-leeds-at-elland-road-1-9812112

gaz71 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice