What gig did you go to last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Last night i went to see New York's Bodega at Lancaster library... managed to miss the support act because I stupidly locked myself out of my house and spent the time breaking back in with a crow bar and lump hammer, and spent much of Bodega's set worrying that my house was being burgled because there's now no lock on the front door :sad: ...but they were brilliant. Think Devo, Can, Talking Heads, Pixies... :smile:

4 down, 46 to go :okay:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Stranglers and Dr Feelgood at Westcliff. Saw The Stranglers there last year as well and thought they were better then. Light show certainly was.

Stranglers and Dr Feelgood at Westcliff. Saw The Stranglers there last year as well and thought they were better then. Light show certainly was.
Poop wish I known about this gig.
I went to a Vapours, Eddie and the Hotroads and Stiff Little Fingers gig last night at the O2 Forum Ketish town. I did not know a lot of these bands music but was persuaded to go by a mate who did not want to go by himself. My girlfriend came along as well who had seen Eddie a few times before in her mis spent youth.
Vapours as predicted I knew one track, turning japaneese, and Eddie 2 tracks. I was suprised that I recognised quite a lot of Stiff little fingers and they were very good, the intro to Alternative Ulster should go down in history as a classic, I had forgotten how good it was. The Mosh pit was fun to watch, people getting ejected for crowd surfing.
The amusing thing is the age of most of the audience showed in my poor mate who's back could no longer take the seating/standing had to leave early because he was in pain and the queues for the toilets of us old duffers with old mans bladder syndrome. He missed the best part of the show.

MontyVeda

Would love to see SLF live... I''m a bit gutted because i didn't even know they were touring until a couple of days ago and I've missed all their dates up north :sad:

On the upside... my home is secure again :okay:

MontyVeda

Damo Suzuki of Can performing with Preston band Tero Kulero, with support from Pill Fangs and Cold Bath Street.

Rather than doing a load of Can covers, Damo tends to improvise with a local noise/psychedelic band wherever he performs. It was weird, it was good, yet not great. Nice being in the same room as a legend though.

Pill Fangs were good once they'd got going... but the frontman spent an awful lot of time tuning up his Gibson SG. Serves him right for buying a vintage axe i guess.

Cold Bath Street were very good, I didn't catch all of their set but I'd like to see more of them.

5 gigs down, 45 to go.

[edit] Turns out Cold Bath Street are playing again at the same venue at the end of May... with Carl Palmer as guest drummer! Dunno how they wangled that but... :eek:

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Ditto in Bristol. feelgood weren't even on the ticket so was delighted when the door man told us. Both bands played well, but sound balance poor, to the extent the Stranglers' keyboard, the Bach-like elements being a very distinctive part of their sound, was barely audable. Still good overall

Adam4868

Guru
The good the bad and the queen at Manchester Albert hall.Great band and venue Top night but a tad hungover !

MontyVeda

The Unthanks in Morecambe ... this time they're performing unaccompanied, so just three amazing voices in close harmony. I'd have enjoyed it more if the venue's seats weren't quite so unforgiving on my bony arse.

and last saturday a pub band called Groove Cutters, a local funk and soul cover band, and a top notch one at that

i think that's seven gigs down and 43 to go.

gaz71

Über Member
I havent done anything noteworthy on my bike recently but i have been to 7 gigs in the last 17 days.
In order they are
Kiefer Sutherland (yes really)
Pete Doherty and the Puta Madres
Bears Den
Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes (amazing gig)
Ten Tonnes
Richard Ashcroft (gig of the year for me so far)
The Skints

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Three gigs for me this month - Honeyblood at Cambridge Junction at the start of the month, Pip Blom at The Watrerfront in Norwich on Wednesday this week & Big Thief at Cambridge Junction on the 26th.

MontyVeda

Saturday night's gig was the seemingly immortal Gong in Leeds. Fifty years after the band formed in the fields of northern France, I still can't quite believe that they're still going, albeit with a line up that would have been toddlers in Gong's heyday. Excellent stuff with excellent support from Ed Wynne (ex-Ozric Tentacles). Good job I enjoyed it because I'm off up to Glasgow to see them again tonight... so I'll do a de-ja-vous post tomorrow.

8 gigs down, 42 to go.

wormo

Guru
Last night Manic Street Preachers at the Ritz Manchester, who were fab as ususal. Great to see them in a small venue with no fancy videos etc.

This Saturday, an 80s/90s all dayer at the Academy in manchester. Headlined by Echo & The Bunnymen with support from amongst others of The Wonderstuff, Jesus Jones to name a few. Can't wait.

Top Bottom