What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I nipped into Halfords after a ride on Saturday, just to have a look around. On the way out I spotted the Voodoo. I know these bikes are real Marmite bikes and I know that in a lot of cases they are just plain useless and ridiculous but boy oh boy, does it put a smile on my face riding it.

It was £500 to £250 and I eventually got it for £200 as there were a few minor scuff marks on the frame. I can't praise the fella in Halfords Newry enough, he was top drawer.

IMG_20180923_135931.jpg

Whole lotta Rosie for 200 squids!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I nipped into Halfords after a ride on Saturday, just to have a look around. On the way out I spotted the Voodoo. I know these bikes are real Marmite bikes and I know that in a lot of cases they are just plain useless and ridiculous but boy oh boy, does it put a smile on my face riding it.

It was £500 to £250 and I eventually got it for £200 as there were a few minor scuff marks on the frame. I can't praise the fella in Halfords Newry enough, he was top drawer.

View attachment 431372
That's a hell of a lot of bike for very little cash. I picked up a new Voodoo Bizango 29er at the start of the year for £360 from Halfords and it's great fun.

levarg

Regular
@Justinitus I would be interested to know how you get on with replacing the Miras. I have them on my bike and think they are absolute pants. If it's a worthwhile swap to the Spyres then I would consider it myself.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
@Justinitus I would be interested to know how you get on with replacing the Miras. I have them on my bike and think they are absolute pants. If it's a worthwhile swap to the Spyres then I would consider it myself.

Hi Levarg. When I first got the Diverge the Miras were pretty poor. I loosened the callipers and aligned them by eye, cleaned the rotors and pads and then bed them in properly. Massive improvement, obviously badly set up by the shop. It’s early days with the Spyres - still bedding them in. My thoughts are they will be a bit better than the Miras - maybe 20%. I would personally clean and align your Miras properly and bed them in well (if not already done!) as I thought they were actually ok. But the Spyres are better I think but not massively.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

View attachment 431372

That's well worth £200 quids of any ones money. Stay's well clear from Halfords.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Me too :eek:

Sixmile

Veteran
Further to my Fat Bike purchase above and the realisation that it's a brute to put in the car and the forks are too wide for the Seasucker...

I did a load of searching yesterday for shims, mounts, adaptors, you name it. I settled on Hurricane Components Fork Up. They're expensive to buy in the UK, very few suppliers. Then after contacting some American retailers for shipping quotes, I found this hidden away on ebay UK, listed for a Pugsley.. I mean it should work!

s-l1600.jpg

levarg

Regular
Hi Levarg. When I first got the Diverge the Miras were pretty poor. I loosened the callipers and aligned them by eye, cleaned the rotors and pads and then bed them in properly. Massive improvement, obviously badly set up by the shop. It’s early days with the Spyres - still bedding them in. My thoughts are they will be a bit better than the Miras - maybe 20%. I would personally clean and align your Miras properly and bed them in well (if not already done!) as I thought they were actually ok. But the Spyres are better I think but not massively.

@Justinitus Thanks a lot for the info. I've already fiddled around with the brakes quite a bit to try and improve things. Think I already did the same thing as you but will try again.
Like you say, 20% for the Spyres doesn't sound like a massive improvement.

si_c

Guru
eBay for me too, picked up a brand new set of flatmount TRP Spyres including adaptors to replace the Tektro Miras on my Diverge. The Miras are ok but as I’m a bit of a hefferlump I thought I’d try and find something with a bit more oomph!

Should find the Spyres give more consistent and controllable braking, and I'd expect it to be much better in the wet - dual pivot braking - although the stock pads are just OK, I'd swap them for a set of full metallic pads. The Hy/Rds are much better again than the Spyres, but they are more expensive. You really need compressionless cable housing though with the Spyres - not so much with the Hy/Rds I've found, but the Spyres do feel a bit mushy without.

si_c

Guru
Forgot to post what I wanted to say:

Bought a set of Merino Base Layers from Aldi today - looks good. Also a pair of their rechargeable bike likes - basically a rip off of the Lezyne Micro Drive 500XL best I can see with 500, 350 and 150 lumen outputs on solid for the front. We'll see what battery life is like.

The rear light I can't work out what they've copied, but the rubber strap looks a bit sketchy, I'd suggest slightly overtightening. Output seems good enough for a secondary blinky.

Top Bottom