What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
One of these..

1646260615302.png

Bike didn't want it, so I ate it instead.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
New brake pads and a light - They only had one double compound set in stock so i bought one double compound and one Triple compound

IMG_20220303_172010.jpg

I'll also throw in my old 400XL as size comparison

IMG_20220303_172349.jpg

Twilkes

Guru
...no chance of a blue saddle but maybe a blue seatpost in the future... :smile:

Ha, managed to find the same Cannondale saddle I'd been using but with a blue flash on the back, so now at least the blues look intentional and not a coincidence!

Attachments

• IMG_20220308_164253_904.jpg
    IMG_20220308_164253_904.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 11

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Will be interesting to feel how these compare to the out going DT RR440 set. Not going to be as peppy given the heavier weight but should roll faster? (I wonder if i'll be able to find someone to loan me some 50-60mm carbon wheels one day to see what the fuss is all about :laugh:)

1646759601272.png

I'm really glad this saga is at an end though.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
We happily run 7/8 speed gearing on our commuting/ touring bikes. The Acera M360 derailleur is currently £19.99 in Decathlon, and we got two - before it is likely rendered obsolete.

I really like this derailleur. As posted elsewhere, it's highly regarded by Rivendell Bicycle Works/ Grant Petersen.

Also picked up the (12-32) eight-speed cassette that Microshift makes for Decathlon at a very reasonable £12.99.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
So rocked up at work yesterday and realised I had forgotten the key for the lock I keep at work. We have secure bike storage which I am the only person who ever seems to go in there, however it's shared with the students in the flats on the upper floors and despite none of them ever using it I couldn't relax leaving it unlocked.

So went for an early morning walk and only found Trek opening at 0900 so ended up buying an overpriced but Bronze approved lock, this will cover me on my insurance for all my bikes under £350, which is all but my brompton.

razabbs

Well I've wanted to upgrade the bike for the last few years but hasn't been a great time to do it so I'd sort of written it off. Anyway I've been browsing again for the last few days and think I'm set on an Orbea Avant. They're a bit heavy at 10.9kg but I don't trust myself with carbon but that integrated cabling looks amazing, plus any drivetrain will be a huge improvement over my 8 year old Triban 5's Sora.

So, last night I went to try and buy any of the models in the matte silver or military green colour and they're just not available in this part of the country until the end of the season :sad: It's so damn frustrating; I should've sorted it over (both of the last two) winters, but here we are, going into another season on the bike which cost me £160 second hand 5 years ago and has done a couple thousand miles now :laugh:

Make any suggestions known! I've been looking at Giants, Canyon, Decathlon brands and Orbea. I'll have another look at Ribble now but I know I don't really like them. Looking to send around £1500 max; disc brakes a benefit but mainly because of how much tidier the bikes look with them.

Edit: Oh! R872 disc for £1400, 9kg and Carbon fibre? That seems alright, doesn't it! But without that Orbea tidy cable set up at the front end! :sad::sad:

Another Edit: Ribble R872 Disc, estimated Dispatch, September 2022:sad:

Final edit: 3300 miles total on that bike, 1700 of it was through 2020... :bicycle: SO, I think I'm gonna aim to do700 miles this year (not started yet)and buy a new bike over Winter ready for next summer.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Some Schwalbe pro one v-guard for tubes which no longer being current or trendy were half their original price. Also bought some wax based lubricant for bike to see if it keeps things cleaner.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Some Schwalbe pro one v-guard for tubes which no longer being current or trendy were half their original price. Also bought some wax based lubricant for bike to see if it keeps things cleaner.
Any links, I am after something puncture proof but fairly well rolling.

I got 3 of the Halfords 28mm commuter tyres to test on the Holdsworth. More for fit rather than as a permanent tyre, but they will be ideal spares being foldable.

Top Bottom