What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
New chain and cassette. I now have climbing gears, 11-34, instead of the 12-25 I have now.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Newly arrived from Spa Cycles - a Calder saddle at the apparent bargain price of £39. A cassette and a couple of bottle cages took me comfortably into free delivery territory:

Calder1.JPG

Calder3.JPG
Calder4.JPG

It's intended for my time-warp butterly-barred Raleigh Pioneer Tourer I acquired last year and have yet to use seriously. On my normal bike I've used a B17 since summer 2015 and it was the best saddle I've ever sat on from the outset. Wanting something that at least looks different, I was tempted by the Flyer, but the Spa range is about half the price of anything I'd want from Brooks at the moment, and that swung the deal.

After about 9000 miles the Flying Fortress looks pretty well-used, and has suffered on a couple of occasions when the bike has decided to topple over with my back turned. The Spa looks and feels totally indestructible, rather as a lump of granite does. I can't say I wasn't warned! In the end, I figured that my first road bike, a Viscount Aerospace, came with a saddle-shaped piece of aluminium thinly coated in hard plastic on which I rode for 5½ years, so I should be able to cope with a lengthy break-in and reap the rewards in the long run. But I think I'll try it first on my regular bike - the next instalment of the century a month challenge awaits.

As well as the goodies shown above, there was this little card inside the (very smart) bag:

Calder2.JPG

I've heard of some extreme measures people have resorted to when breaking these things in, but I wasn't tempted to try that.

Being used to Chain Reaction and the like, I found the lack of communication from Spa a bit disconcerting. It seems they were waiting for stock, but the package did come eventually.

C R

Guru
Got the saddle bag and multi tool kit from Lidle for £5.99, nearly got the helmet too, but my current one is perfectly serviceable still, so couldn't really justify it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Been to collect two pairs of unused wheels via eBay, in the back of beyond above Hebden Bridge:

Pair 1 - Roval Fusee Star with purple Michelin Pro Race tyres and a 10 speed Shimano 105 cassette:

s-l1600.jpg

Pair 2 - an unknown hub pair of 700c disc wheels with Zaffiro tyres and a 10 speed BBB cassette, KAP written on the freehub but no markings anywhere. They may be unbadged Specialized Axis 2.0 or Alex disc wheels. Shimano freehub and the hub holes are oval:

s-l1600.jpg

Both cassettes and the tyres are also unused. And at a very decent price.

The disc wheels probably won't stay as I've no disc-equipped bike at the moment. But I'm curious what they are.

Last edited:

TigerT

Veteran
Got a surprise today - A crossbar bag arrived in my postbox. I vaguely remember seeing it on instagram, really shouldn't click on these things when I'm tired or bored. It took so long to arrive I'd completely forgotten about it!

Also bought me some new Isodore echelon bib shorts and a sagebrush green top. Love them, so comfortable and they look very retro. Looking forward to road testing them at the weekend, weather forecast says it should be warm enough :-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ordered 3 new chainrings for my Cannondale road bike (I put a Stronglight triple chainset on it a few years back).

I had left the chain on too long and it had started to wear out the middle ring and cassette before I noticed so I decided to leave everything on through the winter and replace it in the spring. Winter is finally fizzling out so it is time to prepare the bike for the new cycling season.

The other 2 rings might have escaped excessive wear - I'll take the rings off and have a good look at them. Hopefully, I will be able to put the new big ring and small ring in my spares box, but I will use them now if I have to.

I was going to buy Stronglight rings but Spa Cycles had their own-brand rings at a big saving so I opted for them instead. Just over £50 for the 3 rings - not a bad price, and I got half of it back from a £25 premium bond win in the April draw!

Treewisemonkey

A really gorgeous looking blue handle bar tape and one of those traffic mirror things you insert at the end of your handle bars.

Top Bottom