What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was planning on bidding on just a Woodrup for sale locally, then the other bike the seller had was well was posted on here, so I bid on both. Collected today the seller kindly donated a load of other items (crankset, wheels, pedals, tools, other parts) in addition. So I've bought:

A late 1970's 55cm Woodrup, with a mixed groupset but would originally have been Shimano 600 with possibly Campagnolo Strada as a Strada RH crank was included. The wheels are tubular front, clincher rear and there's a spare new tub on the roll:. The seatpost moves but is tight, so I've sprayed that and will have a go later. Oh, and the bike computer works:

PXL_20240419_102758827.jpg

A 2005 54cm Trek 2002, part-carbon, with a mixed 9-speed Shimano Ultegra & 105 groupset plus Ultegra pedals. All works, saddle bag is full and the bike computer works. This could be ridden away with just a bit of air in the tyres although I'd suggest it'd benefit from matching tyres (the one from the Woodrup matches), a new chain, inner/outer cables and bar tape.

Son no. 2's tried it and is baffled why it was only £41 as the Trek works perfectly:

PXL_20240419_102632904.jpg

Plus a whole pile of wheels and other items:

PXL_20240419_102220363.jpg

Plans? Well I wanted the Woodrup, which I'll work on over the next few months whilst sourcing the original groupset if I can confirm that from Woodrup. The Trek? Not a clue.

Also bought has been a Dura-Ace 7900 front derailleur and a new carbon wheelset.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I was planning on bidding on just a Woodrup for sale locally, then the other bike the seller had was posted on here as well, so I bid on both. Collected today the seller kindly added a load of other items (crankset, wheels, pedals, tools, other parts) as well. So I've bought:

A late 1970's 55cm Woodrup, with a mixed groupset but would originally have been Shimano 600 with possibly Campagnolo Strada as a RH crank was included. The wheels are tubs and there's a spare tub on the roll:. The seatpost moves but is tight, so I've sprayed that and will have a go later. Oh, and the bike computer works:

View attachment 728113

A 2005 54cm Trek 2002, part-carbon, with a mixed 9-speed Shimano Ultegra & 105 groupset plus Ultegra pedals. All works, saddle bag is full and the bike computer works. This could be ridden away with just a bit of air in the tyres:

View attachment 728115

Plus a whole pile of wheels and other items:

View attachment 728116

Plans? Well I wanted the Woodrup, which I'll work on over the next few months whilst sourcing the original groupset if I can confirm that from Woodrup. The Trek? Not a clue.

Looks like quite the haul; I bet you'd enjoy going through all that :tongue:

On the down-side, sadly looks like the end of someone's time cycling... although at least it's gone to a good home!

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I've just ordered a new KMC gold chain from Merlin. When I looked at the prices, it wasn't much more than an ordinary one so thought I'd go for a bit of bike bling. ^_^

Fitted said chain to bike. Never used quick links before, I'd bought a pair of quick link insertion pliers (made the order carriage free), managed to get the chain together but every time I tried to get the quick link fixed it pinged off into a corner of the garage. Did this twice with the accompanying cursing while I cleared everything out trying to find the offending link plate. It was only after the second fail that I realised the pliers should be squeezed the normal way, not trying to pull them apart. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Alex321

Veteran
Fitted said chain to bike. Never used quick links before, I'd bought a pair of quick link insertion pliers (made the order carriage free), managed to get the chain together but every time I tried to get the quick link fixed it pinged off into a corner of the garage. Did this twice with the accompanying cursing while I cleared everything out trying to find the offending link plate. It was only after the second fail that I realised the pliers should be squeezed the normal way, not trying to pull them apart. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

^_^

Pulling them apart is for taking the quick links off.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A 9 speed chain for the Trek I bought further up this page.

A set of Swissstop carbon brake pads for son no. 2's BeOne Raw as he's worn all of them out.

and a yellow Fabric elite saddle for the Merida Cyclo-Cross so it matches the frameset.

After some problems with my diverge from general wear and tear, a pair of top of the range Jagwire brake cable inners, a new gear cable and a general service had got it back in top condition.

Replacement SRAM XO1 rear derailleur from Bikeinn. Ordered 14th. Delivered 20th and fitted same day. Found a new local LBS too to replace my usual one which closed down. Also found out there a mobile cycle mechanics which I never knew about before.

Thanks - might have a look and see if there are any mobile people round here!
Mind you - it would mean not getting the normal "What have you broken this time" welcome from the LBS!

Top Bottom