What have you broken today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I may well be breaking something expensive later on today! :laugh:

I have to service my RH Chorus ergopower shifter, which has been losing its indexing. The reassuring 'clunk' when shifting had disappeared. It was hard to tell if gear shifts had actually taken place and it was getting worse with every ride.

I have watched a Campagnolo video which makes it look easy but I have already torn the rubber hood getting it off, so that does not bode well for the rest of the job! Lots of little springs, bolts and washers to fly off to the dark corners of the room ...
I pinched a spare rubber hood from a broken Campag shifter and managed to service the Chorus shifter without breaking it or losing anything! It has worked perfectly for a year since then, probably about 3,000 miles worth of use. :smile:

albion

Guru
I may well be breaking something expensive later on today! :laugh:

I have to service my RH Chorus ergopower shifter, which has been losing its indexing. The reassuring 'clunk' when shifting had disappeared. It was hard to tell if gear shifts had actually taken place and it was getting worse with every ride.

I have watched a Campagnolo video which makes it look easy but I have already torn the rubber hood getting it off, so that does not bode well for the rest of the job! Lots of little springs, bolts and washers to fly off to the dark corners of the room ...
If its the 10, then Decathlon have them for £25, and if so, best buy a few, the design was said to be flawed

U

User6179

Broke my new chain tool putting on new chain, broke my homemade press putting in new press-fit BB, broke the expander bung in the forks getting the play out of the handlebars.
Luckily I still had my old chain tool to fit the chain, a hammer teased the BB into the frame and I used an elastic band to hold expander bung together.

ColinJ

If its the 10, then Decathlon have them for £25, and if so, best buy a few, the design was said to be flawed
That's a cheapo Xenon shifter. It's a bit worrying that a RH shifter is described as being for a triple chainset! I wonder if they are imported from a country that uses the shifters swapped round relative to us ... (France? :whistle:)

My shifter is 10-speed Chorus, rebadged the year I bought the groupset from the previous year's Record - lots of carbon fibre loveliness.

I think a shifter starting to lose its indexing 'click' after 10 years heavy use isn't too bad when it can be repaired reasonably easily and cheaply.

albion

Guru
Not if you look into it closer and realise the front changer is sold out.
And they do appear to be on the last few of the 10. Now 'limited stock'.

You could give that a go if penny pinching, but it may need too much TLC.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Not if you look into it closer and realise the front changer is sold out.
And they do appear to be on the last few of the 10. Now 'limited stock'.

You could give that a go if penny pinching, but it may need too much TLC.
You must have missed the post where I said that I repaired my shifter a year ago and have done over 3,000 miles on that bike since then! :okay:

Too Tyred

Twanging bits off into the hedge is quite good going. Top marks for breaking it with style.:okay:

I hope it won't be too expensive.

£40 to fit new levers. Asked them to give it a full service too at £50. Judging on what they said it didn't really need the service, but it's good peace of mind going into winter.

Going forward how often should you be looking at getting a service?

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
£40 to fit new levers. Asked them to give it a full service too at £50. Judging on what they said it didn't really need the service, but it's good peace of mind going into winter.

Going forward how often should you be looking at getting a service?
That doesn't sound too bad, price wise.:okay:

Servicing will depend on how much you use the bike. Personally I tend to service the bearings etc once a year. The bike gets checked over on a regular basis so other stuff is done as and when needed.

Too Tyred

Yeah I thought so but it's good for someone with more bike experience (you) to agree.

Ok so go on mileage and % of poor weather/ roads riding rather than time?

Top Bottom