What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Along with a chunk of hair :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Aargh - I really AM getting forgetful...! :wacko:

I've now fixed that problem too. I looked at the pedals and could see places where the metal was getting worn away by the tread on the soles of my cycling shoes. I reasoned that this was the source of the noises and decided to give the shoes a bit of help. Rather than waiting for the shoes to wear enough metal away to reduce friction to the point where the noises stopped, I took a file to the pedals and filed a thin layer of metal off both sides of both pedals in the critical positions. Result ... no more squeaking! :okay:

I took a file to one side of the RH pedal on my cyclocross bike...

I have been getting an incredibly annoying squeaky sound from that side when riding the bike. I did a 100 km ride on it a couple of weeks ago and the noise was there for over 6 hours, doing my head in!

I have SPD pedals on all of my bikes. The ones on the other bikes are the cheap, simple and totally reliable Shimano M520s. The ones on the CX bike are M530s, which have a small platform area round the SPD mechanism. It gives a bit more support to the foot. The trouble is, it does that by having the tread of the shoe making contact with it all of the time. My feet rotate slightly through the pedal stroke; I hadn't realised how much until I rode a few miles with my feet fixed in place on another type of pedal - it felt quite uncomfortable and I yearned for the missing 'float'.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that the movement of the tread against the platform is what is making the noise. (I tried adjusting things and lubing them but it didn't help for long.) The tops of the platforms have started to wear from the constant movement of the tread against them so I decided to help the process along and file down the remaining high points. I have done it on just one side for now so I can test my hypothesis by clipping in on the filed side or the unfiled side. If the bodge has worked then I will file the other 3 sides too.
I had completely forgotten making the first post! :eek:

Fortunately, they are different bikes. Same shoes though. Perhaps I should have left the pedals alone and trimmed the soles of the shoes instead... :whistle:

Phew! After a bit of jiggery pokery mine and Madame Fondo's bikes sorted. Spec Dolce road bike now flat bar kind-of-hybrid (frame angles!) you all shout... just hope it pays off. Ran out of puff changing grip shift on mine to new XT rapidfire so still in box and on the 'to do' list. Wales over Easter to off-road test.
20190418_155026.jpg

20190418_155038.jpg

Attachments

• 20190418_155038.jpg
    20190418_155038.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 11
Yesterday stripped down free hub on the Halo hub on the Robinson as it was making some nasty noises;bit dirty but nothing untoward so hopefully silent running now(as silent as a Halo superdrive hub can be:laugh::whistle:)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A busy day doing bits in-between marking student assignments. After painting the frame and forks earlier this week I built this, apart from the chain:

DSCF6214.JPG

• Also changed the inner tube on the Raleigh Sports, although it might have just been a loose Woods valve.
  • Sorted out some bits for the Avanti Circa build that has been sat unfinished for 2 months; that's a job to do.
  • Stuck 2 tubs onto a pair of PlanetX carbon track wheels; it needs a smaller cog ready for outdoor track training tomorrow evening.
  • Aero bars onto my NeilPryde ready for a TT on Saturday and prepped my Principia TT bike for my 14yo to use. Also got his race bike ready for a race on Sunday and his track bike ready for a track session Monday.

Last edited:
Still tweaking the cockpit of the Chartres...

Adjusted the tension on both brake cables as the brakes were a bit too grabby and the levers too stiff - I prefer a somewhat more progressive brake set-up. Still surprised how much "stop" there is on discs as opposed to rim brakes. Also adjusted the cleat tension on the pedals.

Test ride showed brakes are now where I want them to be, but still need to have another look at the pedals.

Need to rotate the bars a little back towards me; they've been fitted with ergon grips and the bottom edges are digging into my palms. (The previous owner is a little taller than me.)

Hopefully, once that's done, that *should* sort it. And now that my bum doesn't hurt thanks to the new saddle, it's turning out to be a very nice bike.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had to do something to stop this view from getting too depressing...

20190418_081238.jpg

... so I took the Bianchi down and gave her some attention :okay: Shes going out for a ride with me tomorrow so a clean and fettle was in order. I also took the opportunity to pop the Ultegra lh crank arm on with the Avio PowerSense power meter to give it a ride out. If successful I'll send the Dura Ace arm off to get one fitted :becool:

20190418_225503.jpg

20190418_225329.jpg

I had a traditional bank holiday - which can only mean one thing - Cuprinol!

Treated the shed to a long-overdue couple of coats. Non bike related fettling since I decided I wasn't going out on the bike this weekend to spend some time with a poorly cat who is on meds to try to keep him going until a dangerous all-or-nothing operation next Friday :sad:

Which basically meant that he slept with one eye open watching his servant working. Which is what cats do. Except for a 10 minute bout of posing in the sunshine

tylersun.jpg

I had a traditional bank holiday - which can only mean one thing - Cuprinol!

Treated the shed to a long-overdue couple of coats. Non bike related fettling since I decided I wasn't going out on the bike this weekend to spend some time with a poorly cat who is on meds to try to keep him going until a dangerous all-or-nothing operation next Friday :sad:

Which basically meant that he slept with one eye open watching his servant working. Which is what cats do. Except for a 10 minute bout of posing in the sunshine

View attachment 463063

Pawsies crossed for your lovely supervisor xxx :hugs:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Thoroughly cleaned my Cube Peloton and won t be using it until We go to the Isle of Man to do the TT course next month. It will go for a full service first. In the meantime, the Specialized Roubaix or Allez will come into play for my next ride on Monday. Covered 26 miles on the Cube this morning.

Top Bottom