What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I couldn't find my rubber sheeting, so as a stop-gap, I used a plastic A4 ring-binder
It's fairly stiff plastic. & 'Ribbed For Extra...… Drainage'...………...

Hardest part was drilling the holes in the mudguard, as my battery drill has died, so I was using the big SDS drill, which was awkward, due to the unbalanced weight (& trying to hold mudguard straight
In hindsight, it'd have been easier to take the mudguard off, but;)

I did think I had a black binder, but it'll do!!
View attachment 470342 View attachment 470343 View attachment 470344
After my soggy wheelsucking in the rain last week... ** cough ** @Littgull! :whistle:

:laugh:

Either that, or I'll go in front next time...

PS He doesn't need a front one - the bike has plenty of protection. It is the lack of a rear flap that causes problems for wheelsuckers!

After my soggy wheelsucking in the rain last week... ** cough ** @Littgull! :whistle:

PS He doesn't need a front one - the bike has plenty of protection. It is the lack of a rear flap that causes problems for wheelsuckers!
I doubt she'll be riding 'in convoy' with anyone in the rain, but I still have the front (or is it the back?) of the ring-binder, to slice up

Oddly enough, out on the bike today I found this by the roadside.
I'd be happy to chop some off and send it to you if you like? I'm planning on making some myself as I don't think much of the flaps that were included with my longboards.

View attachment 470376

Yip. I'll pm you my address.
I'm thinking it could actually be from a farm trailer tyre. I don't think it's big enough to do a truck, but who knows.
Let me how big you want it chopping and how many and I'll get the scissors on it.

1. I'll have to check how much foreign postage is (to the west of the Pennines):whistle:

2. CIrca; 15 -18" square should do, to make 2x sets (front & rear)

3. It probably is off an agricultural trailer/towed implement

:laugh:

I'll have to get a rear flap sorted. I'm pretty sure the rear mudguard came with a decent mudflap when I bought the bike from new but 3 separate collisions with lunatic taxi drivers in the last 2 years have left the mudguard minus the flap! Mind you, even my flapless rear mudguard must result in less water spray than the seat post mounted '4rse saver" ? :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

It was a fettling fail for me this afternoon, trying to change a brake cable on my Good Ladies Walker for the first time, when I got the chewed up cable out the brake lever separated into two parts, it looks like cable tension keeps it together, I also found out there are a pair of pulleys that the cable runs round, I couldn't wind the new cable round those when I tried to fit it and it looks like I need to buy a kit rather than just a cable, I've now contacted the firm I brought the generic cable from about returning the cable and buying a kit.

View attachment 470390

Success! I managed to get the cable fitted tonight, it's not quite right, I've lost the hand brake that side, but she now has two working brakes and a hand brake on one side, which is an improvement on what she had.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll have to get a rear flap sorted. I'm pretty sure the rear mudguard came with a decent mudflap when I bought the bike from new but 3 separate collisions with lunatic taxi drivers in the last 2 years have left the mudguard minus the flap! Mind you, even my flapless rear mudguard must result in less water spray than the seat post mounted '4rse saver" ? :laugh:
I had forgotten that I was riding the singlespeed bike! I thought I was on the CX bike, which has proper mudguards. Mind you, even on that bike the flap on the rear guard is nowhere near as long as the one on the front.

silva

Über Member
FILE0083_sjakos.JPG

Mine is cut out from epdm rubber, and high/wide enough to keep mud also away from the chain.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Swapped out the 18t sprocket on my Mum's three speed for a 22t sprocket for an easier time up the hills. She says she'll use it for her commute, but in all likelihood it'll stay in the garage... De-rusted all the chrome, put a couple of extra links in the chain and cleaned it all up anyway, running nicely now.

IMG_20190613_201348.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Fitted a new Sora nine speed derailleur yesterday along with a Decathlon Btwin nine speed cassette then spent many fruitless hours trying to get it indexed.

After giving up last night I continued fiddling this morning and discovered the cassette body is floating slightly on the freehub - it's never going to index properly. The problem seems to be with the second smallest sprocket. The main cassette body has seven sprockets and slides smoothly onto the freehub splines where it sits nice and snugly. The thirteen sprocket slides easily onto the freehub splines where it wobbles uneasily. This is followed by the eleven sprocket, which like the main cassette body fits correctly. The lock ring is then screwed on and tightened to the recommended 40nm.

At this point the thirteen sprocket is still wobbly and because of this the main cassette body can float slightly.

Do I:
a) need a spacer
b) need to return the Btwin cassette and buy a Shimano one or
c) need to call a mechanic?

btw - the mechanic in Decathlon (Sheffield) told me it was compatible with Shimano fittings.

Nebulous

Guru
One of the most useless bike inventions ever was the old Shimano quicklink. I tried it several times with no success, had to go to the lbs for a different one, then went on a long journey of avoiding Shimano chains altogether.

I've moved on to 11 speed, I like the new Shimano quicklink use their chains all the time and had blotted out all memory of the old one. I needed a new chain for the commuter, got a hg40 for £6.40 from Halfords, got it home and realised it had one of these stupid links.

I tried, tried and tried, including squeezing it with a pliers. I had just given up, told my wife I need to go back to Halfords for a quicklink, when I decided to check YouTube. The guy there made it look easy. I decided to have another go - and it worked!

So for the first, and probably last time, I have just fitted one of these old style 6-7-8 speed quick links.

Tenkaykev

Guru
IMG_20190616_115422.jpg

New mudguards and chain guard fitted to my Brompton, swapped the 50 tooth for a 44 to help me get up the hills.

EDIT
Thought that I'd somehow borked the rear brakes when fitting the rear mudguard ( I also fitted new brake pads )
Turns out that I'd inadvertently switched a couple of the mudguard stays on one side and this was causing the tyre to rub against the internal stay bracket. Took me an age to see what I'd done but all sorted and running smoothly :-)

brakepads.jpg

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Last night...
Partially unwrapped the bar, swung the bar forward a bit, moved the brake levers and rewrapped the bar.
Readjusted the mudguards having failed to squeeze my 1.75" land cruisers under them.
Today...
Straightened out a bent saddle loop on the B17. Refitted the Carradice Classic rack as lifting the fat bas**rd bike through an anti cycle gate with the Pendle permanently attached via a bagman expedition nearly ripped my shoulder out.
Thinking about trimming an inch off the stands legs...

Top Bottom