What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

Rear derailleur is a write off, the front one I'm not sure but it looks like the cage has been bent on the outside, and has been rotated about the seat tube. If you could get a picture from the rear i'd be better able to say.

Easy enough to replace both though, I'd suggest changing the chain at the same time though, especially given its been through those mangled derailleurs.

I think for £25 or so i'll replace the front one too. It was horrendously bent at first; in order to not destroy the chain ring i had to use my multi-tool to lever it away from the crankset. Not looked at chains yet but i doubt they'll be so expensive. Will look into it :smile:

7IHaH21.jpg

si_c

Guru
Gash shift has over torqued the cranks, and bent the front mech in a treat. Get the cranks out, and check the spindle. I’d wager it’s bent. I see you have a band on front mech as well. Make sure it’s straight and tightened up.

I'd take that bet. I'd say it's a bad upshift but the crank and axle are fine.

Forgive me, what do you mean by a band on the front mech? :smile:

The front mech attached around the frame rather than bolting to it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Re-did the brake cables on the Raleigh Sports 1950 as I wasn't happy with them.

DSCF6356.JPG

Then fitted a new pair of Shimano 7x3 shifter/brakes onto the Raleigh Pioneer to replace the 23 year-old Gripshifts which were down to 4 working gears, together with new Shimano front and rear derailleurs plus a full set of inner/outer cables. I'm guessing it's the first set of inner and outer brake cables since the bike was new in 1996.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I connected up the USB charging port to the commuters dynamo wiring this afternoon. Just waiting on the shirt USB lead then I'll be able to charge the GPS while I ride, jolly useful on my 15 mile round trip commute :okay::laugh:

More useful if I get off my bum and book a euro tour though :tongue:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Finished it :smile:
I have an mklll design rattling around in my head now.

IMG_20190630_235751.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nipped up the pad clearance on the TRP Spyres fitted to my commuter bike a few days ago then carried on commuting as usual. The very next day I heard an annoying scraping, rubbing type sound when riding to work. 1st thought was that I had set the brake pads too close to the rotor, but a gentle squeeze of the brakes and the noise continued. The noise also stopped when I stopped pedalling. I was busy working 12hr nightshifts so just turned up the volume on my ipod and ignored the noise until today, my 1st day off.
Riding home this morning I popped off the headphones to listen and it was pretty bad.

I managed to open up the hub using no tools as the Kona hub assembly just pulled apart by hand. The only tools I would need are to drifts to knock out the replaceable sealed bearings when the time comes..

I think I found the problem.....

IMG_20190701_094103210.jpg

IMG_20190701_094139741.jpg

Not particularly impressive on a wheel that has only done 1800 miles from new and not been washed. At least now I know it is clean and greased. Also a fair bit quieter which is no bad thing.

D

Deleted member 1258

Nipped up the pad clearance on the TRP Spyres fitted to my commuter bike a few days ago then carried on commuting as usual. The very next day I heard an annoying scraping, rubbing type sound when riding to work. 1st thought was that I had set the brake pads too close to the rotor, but a gentle squeeze of the brakes and the noise continued. The noise also stopped when I stopped pedalling. I was busy working 12hr nightshifts so just turned up the volume on my ipod and ignored the noise until today, my 1st day off.
Riding home this morning I popped off the headphones to listen and it was pretty bad.

I managed to open up the hub using no tools as the Kona hub assembly just pulled apart by hand. The only tools I would need are to drifts to knock out the replaceable sealed bearings when the time comes..

I think I found the problem.....

View attachment 473442
View attachment 473443

Not particularly impressive on a wheel that has only done 1800 miles from new and not been washed. At least now I know it is clean and greased. Also a fair bit quieter which is no bad thing.

I'd be unimpressed with that as well, no seal on it?

Top Bottom