What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Just given the London Rd a good clean and polish. Not been gone since the York rally so was well over due.
As the weather is good and seeing as the stand , cleaning stuff was out and as Mrs 73 is away.
Thought I'd clean and polish her pride and joy FX3 (few brownie pts me thinks:laugh:)
Both all ready for our next day out hitting the trails.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_3206.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3208.JPG
    IMG_3208.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 8

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Got the seat post out of a folding 26" Fuji I was given by the bicycle co-op, as they had no idea what to do with it. About the only folding bike that will hold a guy my size.These bikes were not sold. You had to buy them with points from Marlboro cigarettes. A guy at the co-op told me his parents got a tent, and a bunch of camping gear that way. Marlboro adventure team. 4130 Cro-moly frame, strange folding action. I intend to repaint it, black or dark brown, very businesslike. Rack and fenders, high reach bars, better components, probably used but nice Deore. Watch this space for more hijinx.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Before cleaning the chain on my Spa this afternoon I decided to check it with a wear tool and the 1% indicator dropped straight in so the cleaning gear got put away and a spare chain was fitted along with and an ulmost unused 11-32 cassette on the rear wheel The cassette wasn't really needed as I don't need the big gears, but the low mileage 11-28 that was on there will be needed elsewhere soon.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Got the seat post out of a folding 26" Fuji I was given by the bicycle co-op, as they had no idea what to do with it. About the only folding bike that will hold a guy my size.These bikes were not sold. You had to buy them with points from Marlboro cigarettes. A guy at the co-op told me his parents got a tent, and a bunch of camping gear that way. Marlboro adventure team. 4130 Cro-moly frame, strange folding action. I intend to repaint it, black or dark brown, very businesslike. Rack and fenders, high reach bars, better components, probably used but nice Deore. Watch this space for more hijinx.
folded-fuji.jpg
fuji-full-size.jpg

tom73

Guru
Out on the morning ride something was making one hell of a noise sounded like the front wheel was about to came off. Pulled over checked it nothing. Had a drink looked down and it was the bottle cage it had come loose a quick fix by hand as I was almost home. :laugh: So 1st thing tonight was to sort that.
Then time to give the Ribble a good clean. After Cleaning the chain I thought i'd try the Wend wax Mrs 73 got me.
Not sure how it will hold up but if anything else it now smell's lovely. :becool:

Attachments

• IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 14

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Basket worked loose, luckily I was at the market, and was able to buy an adjustable wrench there. Just the right size for a seat pack, a bit small for general use.

tom73

Guru
No bike cleaning left to do so turned attention to giving the path a good clean.
I don't know what it is about these loggers they fly 1000's of miles every year to spend the summer with us and still find time to make a mess.
I won't have it any other way it's always good to have them stay :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpg
    IMG_3240.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 16
Also, yesterday;
Whilst giving Joannes bike a check-over, the pedals bearing felt like they'd been filled with sand, not grease
I know they're only (probably) the cheapest that can be obtained to fit, but bearings matter
She has used SPDs in the past, when she had an Orange 'Aluminium O', back in the early 90s, & actually raced!
However, this is just a commuter, & that's all she'll probably do?
(it had clips/straps, but she wanted them removing - they were a 'L' pair anyway)

A few dribble of a decent oil into them, has produced a free-spinning l/h pedal

Pedals. HYB86. 1.JPG

The r/h has been left overnight, upright, with oil in the outer bearing to run through
I'll check it shortly

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Youngest son does an after-school MTB session thing on Wednesdays but arrived home early today, coasting down our avenue with his chain hung around his neck!

Turns out he had managed to pop one of the links. It's a KMC chain and had failed at a random link nowhere near the join. He did say the indexing had been off prior to the failure and after fitting a quick-link in place of the break it seems to be running fine so maybe the side plate was hanging off for a little while before it finally gave up?
I'm amazed he managed to break the chain this way, the KMC chains are notoriously hard to push a pin out due to the peened pin heads, yet he had bent the side plate away from the pin which allowed the link to open up and separate.

I'll give it a few rides and if he has any further problems I already have a spare 11spd chain sat on the shelf waiting.

Top Bottom