What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finally got the bottom Bracket fitted and pedals on the Xtracycle (seen here being a touring bike:

2019_06_15_eyach_century_23.jpg

Which means I'm not going to have to ride the admittedly sturdier but also much heavier Bakfiets when picking up Beautiful Daughter

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just noticed my lower jockey wheel was seized solid.
Quick change as i had a spare so off out biking now.. I thought it seemed a bit stiff peddling :laugh:

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Tongsheng Nightshade ? or VLCD5 Hoodie ? Maybe a niche one, this.

Tried it out this morning at 6.45am. A solution to the problem I have had with my Tongsheng TSDZ2 conversion e-bike's display when riding at night (and I really enjoy riding in the dark - no-one else around, and all you hear is the local widlife).
The VLCD5 display is remarkably big and clear for daylight viewing. But when using it at night - to turn on the front and rear bike lights - the display's backlight that then comes on is so bright, I lose my normal eyesight's darkness accommodation.

Maybe it's the contrast being too much - between the almost pitch black of our our local unlit country roads, and the display shining up at my face like a WW2 searchlight. It's amost uncomfortable, to the point on last Saturday evening I was riding for several miles with one mittened
hand covering the display.

Here's the removable "nightshade".

Tongsheng TSDZ hoodie nightshade daylight front back small.jpg

Seamgrip urethane glue, plastic fabric off-cut (from the base of a modified rack bag that covers the e-bike battery), two strips of double-sided velcro, and two layers of car window tinting film (20% variant). Sharp knife, steel edge and cutting board. Put together over several nights (working on one side at a time, 12 + hours for glue to cure. And 24 hours needed to avoid adhesion where you don't want it. DAHIKT).

Tongsheng TSDZ hoodie nightshade cropped small.jpg

Here's the effect.

Tongsheng TSDZ hoodie nightshade use without with small.jpg

As I'm not interested in my total distance ridden, or the other icons on the lower part of the display, I've reduced the window of information that shows through the tint to just the top half - power level, speed and battery level. The remote control allows all functions to be used, even though the buttons on the VLCD5 are covered. And when in place, the whole thing gives some protection against mud and rain.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Mucky roads recently and the RD was sticking when moving down the block - there was too much friction between the outer/inner on the small loop just at the end.

As the bike was getting a little grubby I cleaned the whole lot - ran the chain through the sonic cleaner and lubricated the cables where appropriate.

Also found a better way of routing the dynamo cable up the fork leg, found a clip I can use which attaches to the same bolt as the mudguard stays and keeps the cable in the right place. Much tidier than the helicopter tape I was using previously.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Had slight chainrub on the front derailleur of my new build(nov).have only had it out a couple of times for test rides.Decided to investigate and start again with it.Followed the instructions to a T this time with a bit more confidence in what I was doing(first Di2 build) and now it is perfect.Happy days.

Gunk

Guru
Installed a set of roof bars onto Mrs Gunks Mini, (what a pig of a job) so I can transfer all the bike racks off my Golf as I’m getting a bit fed up with the reduced fuel consumption and the Mini only gets used for short local trips, so perfect for transporting our bikes.

I also adjusted front and rear mechs on our newly acquired Kona and it’s now listed on the bay of dreams.

roley poley

Über Member
a scuffy sound from the front mudflap rub on tyre turns out to be hub bearings hmmm .I changed the quick release front axle to a solid about a year ago in the hope it would be less easy to pinch and reassembled with white grease out of a tube round my mates house ..little did I know that the drops of oil I put in over time would battle with white grease to make a mushy yuck .Cleaned and repacked with MY brown grease fine now and I know not to mix compounds of lube even if they are just to hand

Tenkaykev

Guru
Took my Brommie out for a spin, got halfway up a short steep slope when the hub gear changed itself into top. Had to really mash the pedals to get to the top of the slope.

Turned round and headed home. Saw that the gear adjuster lock nut had worked itself loose. I've never adjusted hub gears before, but after watching the excellent tutorial video from Brilliant Bikes I had it sorted and tested in no time.

While it was up in the stand I gave it a thorough clean and chain lube and checked the brakes.

Top Bottom