What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I managed to source a really clean Campag Veloce 12-25 cassette for my spare turbo rear wheel. This matches the cassette ratios on the road wheel, so I fitted it and was really pleased that it just slotted in and worked without any adjustments to the indexing.

I know there are mixed views on using a second turbo wheel, but it saves wear on the other better quality Chorus cassette and GP4000 rear tyre. I can now swap them over in less than 30 seconds, so for me it’s a good solution.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned my Wilier Montegrappa after I thought it didn't need cleaning from Monday's ride. It was xx( Swapped the 10 speed cassette on the Ritchey wheels for an 11 speed of the Shimano RS wheelset I got this week and put some Fulcrum 5's on.

Then had a play with my Christmas present of an ultrasonic cleaner; it shifted a winter's worth of grime from the 10 speed cassette. That'll go onto the Shimano RS wheels for when the Wilier's being sold later this year.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Swapped the wheels over on my Pilot last night and whipped the mudguards off in the hope I could commute in on it today. With the office being largely closed it can be stored nice and securely and is more fun to ride than the commuter :laugh: I'd forgotten how grim riding with a heavy laptop in a rucksack was :laugh:

Also cleaned the cassette on the summer wheels before installing, but only so I had an excuse to fire up the ultrasonic cleaner again :laugh: Crikey they're loud, I hadn't really noticed the first time but at 10pm you're more aware of how much noise you're making in the garage :laugh:

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Pulled my MTB out of the shed where it has languished since before the first lockdown. Brakes were fscked completely, so new pads in both front and rear with the rear needing a full bleed as it was full of air. The pads were down to the backing plates so not entirely surprising.

Also pulled off the rear wheel pulled the axle to put some grease on the bearings as they were a little dry and straightened the hanger. All done in just over an hour, so pretty pleased with that.

Pulled my MTB out of the shed where it has languished since before the first lockdown. Brakes were fscked completely, so new pads in both front and rear with the rear needing a full bleed as it was full of air. The pads were down to the backing plates so not entirely surprising.

Also pulled off the rear wheel pulled the axle to put some grease on the bearings as they were a little dry and straightened the hanger. All done in just over an hour, so pretty pleased with that.

Hopefully not this bad :eek::eek:
Not mine!!! (taken from social media)

Swapped 105 left side 4iiii power meter to the winter bike then fitted new Ultegra R8000 with same make of power meter to the spring bike, gave it a little light wash down to removal all the dust 🙄

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today, I have mostly been reviving a dead Garmin Edge 200!

Well the new battery came today. Managed to get it apart and separate the circuit boards etc, but failed miserably trying to put it all back. Some of the connectors are so tiny that it is difficult making a good connection, so I gave up and ordered a new garmin.

Bad luck, but at least you end up with a new device!

If you haven't killed it altogether, would you consider parting with it for not-very-much? :whistle:

PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post. I had thrown it into the bin, so might need a bit of cleaning!

@Sharky was kind enough to do just that and didn't even charge me the postage.

Before:

I was a bit overconfident - it WAS really fiddly! I had 4 or 5 attempts to put it back together last night and got it working for 1 minute but when I reassembled the case the damn connector fell off again!

I had another go today and finally managed to get the power connector and screen cable inserted properly.

The next problem was that I didn't have a Torx driver to fit the tiny screws for the case. I gave up trying to use other types of screwdriver and hunted through my various piles of junk to find 4 small Philips style screws.

After:

Yay!

I have charged the battery up to 100% and am going to switch the device back on just before I go to bed so I can check the battery life. It is a new battery so I am hoping for 12 hours or so. That would be enough for most rides that I am likely to do. If I can get 9+ hours then a quick recharge at cafe stops would see me through a day.

Many thanks @Sharky! :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Today, I have mostly been reviving a dead Garmin Edge 200!

@Sharky was kind enough to do just that and didn't even charge me the postage.

Before:
View attachment 575820

I was a bit overconfident - it WAS really fiddly! I had 4 or 5 attempts to put it back together last night and got it working for 1 minute but when I reassembled the case the damn connector fell off again!

I had another go today and finally managed to get the power connector and screen cable inserted properly.

The next problem was that I didn't have a Torx driver to fit the tiny screws for the case. I gave up trying to use other types of screwdriver and hunted through my various piles of junk to find 4 small Philips style screws.

After:
View attachment 575819

Yay!

I have charged the battery up to 100% and am going to switch the device back on just before I go to bed so I can check the battery life. It is a new battery so I am hoping for 12 hours or so. That would be enough for most rides that I am likely to do. If I can get 9+ hours then a quick recharge at cafe stops would see me through a day.

Many thanks @Sharky! :thumbsup:

A powerbank extends the life of my Edge Touring.

Mine still works when plugged in, although Garmin being Garmin, some don't.

Taking the York/Humber Bridge ride as an example, without the powerbank the Touring conked out just as we returned to York.

With the powerbank, I left the cafe stop with a full battery, so plenty of power for the rest of the ride.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I left the Garmin running overnight indoors and the battery lasted 13 hours. I didn't get a satellite lock so it wasn't exactly equivalent to running the GPS out on the bike. It might be that it used more power trying to get a lock, or perhaps it gave up and saved power?

It will be some time before I do one really long ride with it, so I'll recharge it, do lots of short rides, and keep an eye on how many hours of riding I get before the battery goes flat.

It is looking pretty promising though!

si_c

Guru
I left the Garmin running overnight indoors and the battery lasted 13 hours. I didn't get a satellite lock so it wasn't exactly equivalent to running the GPS out on the bike. It might be that it used more power trying to get a lock, or perhaps it gave up and saved power
Leave it recording on a window ledge - that'll give you a good idea.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son's BeOne has been a pain to work on; it got a thorough clean, new front gear cable, paint touch-up but the rear mech wouldn't shift properly at all. In the end we've replaced the cable inner and outer, which has sorted the issue. Re-wrapped the bar tape OK and that should be it done after what seems like ages: ready for Spring/Summer training and as a back-up race bike.

Top Bottom