What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Ongoing saga of the Saddle Creak. Removed saddle bag & mini pump. Still creaks. Removed saddle & cleaned rails + clamp, then re-assembled. Tomorrow, we ride!

keithmac

Guru
Trying to salvage an MP3 tilt lock system today, split the unit and clocked the drive gear 180 degrees to use the unworn section.

It needs calibrating on the diagnostics so weather or not it will be a success is anyones guess but worth a try!.

20210914_120714.jpg

20210914_122701.jpg

20210914_131018.jpg

Silly money for new parts and no availability so nothing to lose having a go.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaning and other bits today;

My Avanti Circa 1 winter commuter got a clean and cyclocross wheels on for a bit of use prior to the winter.

s-l1600-jpg.jpg

Then I had a look at the bike I'd bought a couple of weeks ago and gave three of the four away. I kept the Dawes Kingpin; it was a bit of a mess with not much working. The rear tyre and tube were in bits although the rear Sturmey Archer hub worked along with the shifter after some lubricant persuasion :okay: , so I did a temporary swap with a spare wheel.

Both handlebars grips were covered in some sort of ooze (old sun-tan lotion? xx( ) and a mess so they've been swapped with a spare pair. The seatpost was unstuck and cleaned - more xx( - and it'll need a new chain. The left brake cable is stuck, so that was cut off and a new one's being put together. Front wheel has had the bearings re-greased and a spare used front tyre.

I really don't need a 3rd Kingpin; I've a good one, a TT/racing project one, and wouldn't mind a folding version. But this one's spare for the moment: it'll head off to my storage unit once I get access again to it in a couple of weeks' time.

Last edited:

Svendo

Guru
Replaced the broken expensive Cannondale carbon bottle cages (~£30 reduced in 2016), 18gms plus rubber grommet and bolts on the Suoersix evo hi-mod. Now have 2 x XLC BC01-C1 cages (£14.99 each) 20 grams snd reused the titanium bolts. They’re labelled Carbon but look like polycarbonate.

Gunk

Guru
Cleaning and other bits today;

My Avanti Circa 1 winter commuter got a clean and cyclocross wheels on for a bit of use prior to the winter.

View attachment 609193

Then I had a look at the bike I'd bought a couple of weeks ago and gave three of the four away. I kept the Dawes Kingpin; it was a bit of a mess with not much working. The rear tyre and tube were in bits although the rear Sturmey Archer hub worked along with the shifter after some lubricant persuasion :okay: , so I did a temporary swap with a spare wheel.

Both handlebars grips were covered in some sort of ooze (old sun-tan lotion? xx( ) and a mess so they've been swapped with a spare pair. The seatpost was unstuck and cleaned - more xx( - and it'll need a new chain. The left brake cable is stuck, so that was cut off and a new one's being put together. Front wheel has had the bearings re-greased and a spare used front tyre.

I really don't need a 3rd Kingpin; I've a good one, a TT/racing project one, and wouldn't mind a folding version. But this one's spare for the moment: it'll head off to my storage unit once I get access again to it in a couple of weeks' time.

I hope you pulled those weeds up at the same time!

Top Bottom