What`s your mileage target for 2019?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Ilovehills, 22 Dec 2018.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

To actually get back into regular cycling now I'm back on two wheels again and beat last years pathetic total on the recumbent.

2. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

My target for 2018 was to do more than I have in any other year, then as the year wound on it looked like I could do 1000 offroad miles, which would be more than any other year, I'm 35 miles short then last weekend, I have a weak left hip from a motorcycle accident 40+ years ago it seemed to pop out or twist to an angle it shouldn't it was very painful & a week later it's still not right, with only 8 days to go I'm not going to push for the 1K. Maybe that will make it easier next year.

3. Usual year of commuting will get my 6000.

Next year is my 10 Year anniversary of commuting by bike to and from work, most people back then thought it would only last 10 days!

So that’s 60000 miles for the last 9 years, still one of the best things I have done, saved me a fortune and extended my life I am
    Sure

4. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

It will be what it is and no more.

5. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

I would never set a target, that would turn cycling into a chore like trying to make babies when she says "tonight's a good night".

Just like @welsh dragon I measure cycling success by the quality of my rides not the quantity. If I've enjoyed the route, had an adventure, overcome the odds and any negative feelings and got home bursting with endorphins, it's been a good ride.

But as with any others presently battling injury, a mile would be a thrill right now.

welsh dragon likes this.
  6. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

My target will be a modest 2,019 miles, one more than my 2018 target (I'm currently at 2,225 miles this year, with hopefully a couple more rides before the year is out).

mgs315 likes this.
  7. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

I'd like to think I won't set one, but it's unlikely. This years 7300 mile target passed last month, and I'm aiming for 8000 by the end of the year, so like others I'm riding in rubbish weather just to do that. TBH it seems to take some of the fun away, but does get me out. More rides to the coast for 2019 I think.

C R and kevin_cambs_uk like this.
  8. BudgieBike

BudgieBike Active Member

Had a summer off as redundancy so exceeded target of 3,500 so far Total distance 5,199 km with a couple of rides in diary. Total elevation 40,284 m.
    Next year road bike 3,500 and mountain 1,000

9. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

I do not set mileage targets. I tend to organise my year around big events / rides I would like to do and then plan the rest of the year around those. Most of my rides are not recorded other than in my memory.

mgs315 likes this.
  10. mgs315

mgs315 Senior Member

This year was my first ever target at 3000mi. I achieved it yesterday.

Next year I intend to commute more and got a load of sportives lined up so 4K it is.

11. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

Not to fall off is my main target.

HLaB, Alan O, C R and 4 others like this.
  12. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

Same as 2018 (around 4000 miles) but more climbing and great proportion of fun miles compared to commuting miles (bike commuting is still great but there is the office at the end of it).

pjd57 and LeetleGreyCells like this.
  13. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

The miles I do are inversely proportional to how busy my business is

So, in a strange way, I'm hoping for a low number for 2019

14. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Senior Member

I started 2018 with good intentions as well as the worst flu I had experienced in my life which laid me low until the end of February, then still with good long distance cycling intentions, I caught the heaviest deep chest cold which in turn progressed to bronchial pneumonia, which then saw me becoming a late onset cough induced asthma sufferer with more pills and potions than I thought was possible to force down a throat on a daily basis!
    In the end I only went out on my beloved Shorter on 5 occasions, so I spent far more time polishing and tinkering than I did riding!!

My intentions for 2019 are to ride as much as I possibly can which I doubt will be all that often, but here's hoping.

Happy Christmas one and all

Dogtrousers and bluenotebob like this.
  15. sleuthey

sleuthey Über Member

And no I'm not just plucking figures out the air :smile:

13 rider likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice