What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cheltenham New Flyer 200 duly completed on Saturday. Managed to battle the 'DNS would be very sensible' doubts en route to the start. I think all those who started expected the wind to be testing. The Cotswold walls and the Coln valley offered shelter to start with, but later on gusts of 40+mph (forecast and actual - measured/recorded by RAF Fairford a couple of miles away) meant that out of woods/walls/hedges you really felt it: but nothing a bit of a lean and a few gears lower couldn't sort. The 21 starters (of 45 entered) knew that the 'hard bit' would be the middle 'third' into the wind, but with the assurance/payback of a stonking tailwind for 50+k, from the Fosse Way heading 'home' to Andoversford. There was also the threat/promise of light rain becoming heavier from 6, so an incentive to get round by then, the balance being to enjoy the hospitality of the controls where the ladies were out in force at Fernham and Burbage churches/halls.
I was lucky to have company to take turns on the hard bit across the Lambourn Downs. I expected the push across from Burbage to (Devises) to be harder than it was, even across fairly open terrain below the scarp (and its white horse) on the north side of the Vale of Pewsey. And from Lacock onwards we could look forward to an excellent tailwind which sure enough kicked in once we turned onto the Fosse Way with 50k to go. From Tetbury we took the pleasant and well-worn line though Cherrington and Daglingworth. Sure enough it started spitting once up on the Whiteway and the snaking wet wooded chevronned descent into Withington was not a place for bravado at 196k. But the climb back up to Andoversford was soon done and Cheltenham CTC's warm welcome in the village hall was appreciated.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Next audax is Sarah Britton's "Up and down like a yo-yo" 202k on 31 March from near Exeter. Familiar roads and good weather and scenery assured. Allegedly you're half way up the climbs before you know it from the kinetic energy at the bottom of each dip. Still time to join us.
Route is Cranbrook, Honiton, Cullompton, Tiverton, Bampton, South Molton, Barnstaple, Great Torrington, Okehampton, Exeter, Cranberry Farm (Cranbrook)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29508150?beta=false

Llanfair 400 in May, and pair of Kirtons 600 in June. I have plenty of speed at the moment, but I have not been doing too many long rides. I need to get out a bot more and build mileage, but I have 3 holidays in April!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Easter Arrow is next Audax. Team entry now submitted and route and controls now pretty much finalised. Looking forward to a warmer Easter Arrow than last year, hopefully a dry one as well!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've gone and entered the Gwent Gambol on 13th April. Will have to get up before the milkman to get myself over to the start in Usk by 08:00. Too nice a route to miss though.

Top Bottom