What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Alston and Back 300km (from Galashiels) on 13/04. I'm a bit concerned of going straight in to a 300km, my first event (the Scottish Borders 200km) being cancelled due to weather conditions and a DNS for my second planned event (the Moffat Toffee 200km) as I couldn't make the trip south.

Aah well, just take it easy and I'm sure everything will be alright on the night.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I trust all audaxers caught your moment of fame on last night's University Challenge?

Ajax Bay

Guru
After the Exeter Wheelers' 200 'Yo-yo' last Sunday, in benign conditions but 3 x AAA points, I shall be cycling
Helfa Cymraeg Benjamin Allen ar.
Mark Rigby's 300 from near Tewkesbury heading west to "cross Mynydd Eppynt not once but twice!"
Touches the edge of the Forest of Dean, after Symonds Yat East takes the cycle path alongside the Wye, cuts over to the Usk valley and all the way up to Brecon. Over the hills to Llanwrtyd Wells and back over yr Eppynt via the defence training area to Sennybridge then Brecon. Returns via the Usk and Wye valleys back to the Severn and finish.
After that I have 12 days to 'recover' before a long distance (LD) Easter Arrow with fellow Wednesday pub riders (with 2 of whom I rode round on Sunday).

fossala

Guru
I’m not quite ready for the elevation this ride has to offer but the route is fantastic. Will’s Hills are there to hurt. He is a vindictive organiser if ever there was one.
I've signed up to his 400k and 600k as well...
EDIT: The 300k this weekend is the first audax I've entered that I've been apprehensive about.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've signed up to his 400k and 600k as well...
EDIT: The 300k this weekend is the first audax I've entered that I've been apprehensive about.

I’ll see you on his 400. A first for me. There are a great bunch who riding on Saturday so you are in good hands. Good luck with it.

Still ummming and ahhhhring about a 600. This season or next? I’ll know after the 400.

fossala

Guru
I’ll see you on his 400. A first for me. There are a great bunch who riding on Saturday so you are in good hands. Good luck with it.

Still ummming and ahhhhring about a 600. This season or next? I’ll know after the 400.
I'm doing my fixed SR this year. My thought is if I can struggle through the 300k the 400k will be "easy" and then I'll be determined for the 600k as it will only be one ride left.
EDIT: Make sure you say hi on the 400.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I'm doing my fixed SR this year. My thought is if I can struggle through the 300k the 400k will be "easy" and then I'll be determined for the 600k as it will only be one ride left.
EDIT: Make sure you say hi on the 400.

Respect for doing Will’s 300 fixed. Good luck this weekend. Paid my monies for his 400 so I’m a deffo now. I’ll try and say hello. Ti Spa Cycles Elan with orange bar tape and ACB stripes on Mudflap’s. Long hair, beard, ugly.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Just be aware with it being PBP year many 600s are closing as being full. So the decision whether to ride one may be taken out of your hands.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Still ummming and ahhhhring about a 600.
many 600s are closing as being full.
I do not think that either of @Ian H 's Exeter Wheelers 600s: Buzzard or Exe-Buzzard will be closed to entrants because of numbers. Basic cross-the-country 'going somewhere and back' rides to enjoy.
And looking at the huge number of 600s on the calendar, only the usual culprits are now 'closed' leaving a wide choice. I suggest Yu is being over-dramatic. See how the 400 goes and remember: a 600 is easier than a 400 unless you're taking 26 hours plus over the 400 without a sleep stop.

fossala

Guru
My first failed audax ever, cleat snapped at 180. Couldn't pull myself up any hills so had to call it a day. Really disappointed as I had nearly 12hrs left to cover the 120k, not a chance I wouldn't of finished it if it wasn't for the mechanical. Never mind, need to find another 300k to enter.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My first failed audax ever, cleat snapped at 180. Couldn't pull myself up any hills so had to call it a day. Really disappointed as I had nearly 12hrs left to cover the 120k, not a chance I wouldn't of finished it if it wasn't for the mechanical. Never mind, need to find another 300k to enter.

Zip tie shoe to pedal then take foot out of shoe at stops.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Bum! Amazing effort though. Well done. Dorset Coast 200 for me this weekend. Hoping the weather doesn’t play silly buggers.

Top Bottom