What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I was sitting at the Axminster control saying hello to a number of auld acquaintance. The riders had reaped the benefits of the tailwind thus far, but were At The Turn.

My next is a team event: an Easter Arrow or Fleche Velocio.

8mph

Veteran
I've just registered for my first Audax event,
"Valley of the rocks 200"
27th April - Starting in Honiton

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
How did it go?

It was a great day out. Massive attendance so lots of groups and trains to hook onto. Stunning scenery and top organisation. Horrid bulge at Weymouth so I bounced that. Icy headwind but I chose the right clothing and got my hydration/nutrition bang on. And I got the first ferry over the Studland! Considering the elevation and 50% headwind, this goes down as one of my best efforts yet.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I was sitting at the Axminster control saying hello to a number of auld acquaintance. The riders had reaped the benefits of the tailwind thus far, but were At The Turn.

I wish I had known and I would have introduced myself. I was feeling pretty washed out and had my eyes on the grub! That headwind at least blew my hair behind me and not into my mouth which the tailwind was doing annoyingly.

Best of luck at Easter.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I would like to do an Audax with a little less elevation thanks. But for now my ears are popping up here on Cloud 9. (New badge day for me)

EA96BAB4-453A-4906-8D74-8331907B5DBC.jpeg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hey - on Friday we could meet up along the road (from Taunton to York: 400+). Aiming to be at the Postern Gate Wetherspoons for 8am Saturday but that will depend on a good team performance.
Wind forecast has improved: https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.31;-0.60;7&l=temperature-2m&t=20190419/1800 and it's going to be quite warm for most of the day: shorts weather.
And every chance of a clear night sky and a full moon.
https://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=...100&z=15&spn=0.01,0.04&center=52.0632,-1.3422

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Weather is sure looking better than last year's event. Have a good ride and looking forward to the report.

It's looking rather nice. That's the fun of the Arrow with Easter moving around. You can never be quite sure what you are going to get.

Ajax Bay

Guru
that Easter Arrow was cold overnight
Colder than expected/forecast, especially dropping down into the valleys of north Nottinghamshire / Yorkshire borders between 3 and 6am - down to 2 degrees sometimes*. But what a brilliant moon all through the night! And a spectacular early morning sun above the mist in the fields. We hit 8am (end of 24 hours) with about 9km to ride into York (having started in Taunton).
Sleep . . . Sleep . . .

* punctuated by rising to 15 and 17 in the Melton Mowbray and Markham Moor McDonalds.

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Chevy Chase on 4th May. It's a bit lumpy for my liking but it goes across some of the closed roads on the Otterburn firing range so thought it a good ride to get to somewhere I normally wouldn't be able to go.

Top Bottom