What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
That sounds good. Mind if I join you?
No more than 2k on the front at a time, Ian. I may be taking some 'alternatives' eg through Abergavenny, Hafren forest to Staylittle (6km extra), high road into Harlech, and some confusion going south at Pen-something-something-death. And those are the 'before dusk' variations.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not so much next Audax but I have ordered my next jacket for my PBP 400. I've had a choice between highly breathable but no warm enough overnight jackets yo warm enough overnight but the sweat builds up which eventually chills me. So gone for an I between jacket for my next one. Hopefully warm enough overnight but breathable enough to prevent any sweat build up. That Goldilocks jacket in terms of insulation and breathability.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OT
had a choice between highly breathable but no warm enough overnight jackets yo warm enough overnight but the sweat builds up which eventually chills me.
No more cold nights this year after this weekend. :okay:
Think the solution to this dichotomy is to rely on your other layers for warmth: so choose a jacket which will still fit over (all) those layers) and choose highly breathable one, for when you needs to wear a jacket when it's warm(ish) but raining, and you can remove the other layers to allow you to ride hard and cool - minimising sweat. This choice also minimises the jacket's volume for when it's not worn.

Last edited:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
That sounds good. Mind if I join you?
it always sounds so good but I know
Not so much next Audax but I have ordered my next jacket for my PBP 400. I've had a choice between highly breathable but no warm enough overnight jackets yo warm enough overnight but the sweat builds up which eventually chills me. So gone for an I between jacket for my next one. Hopefully warm enough overnight but breathable enough to prevent any sweat build up. That Goldilocks jacket in terms of insulation and breathability.
This wonder jacket is a...? <drum roll>

Nebulous

Guru

I'm not very experienced with long overnight rides - usually wearing a helly hansen baselayer. For my 200 the forecast was particularly bad and I was worried it wouldn't be warm enough. I found a strange black baselayer in my cycling drawer with fleece lining and a bit of a collar, looks almost like a polo shirt and decided to try it. I couldn't believe how good it was at keeping my core warm. For all 3 rides now I've worn it with a windproof jersey and a thin gore waterproof jacket. If it is dry the gore jacket is light enough to pack in my jersey pocket.

The strange thing is I've no idea where the baselayer came from. My son was briefly in the OTC at university and my wife thinks it may have come from there. I also bought a big bag of secondhand clothes from a cyclist who had given up and I think it could have come from there. The label appears to have been cut off, which isn't something I would do. Nevertheless I've had some shocking weather, down to -6C on my 300 and it has come through with flying colours.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Feeling slightly smug that I have already ridden it, but on the other hand...
On the other hand it's lovely weather all day; and on the other hand you've a 400 to check ride and a knee to look after before a 600 in 7 days' time. Honestly, you old blokes never know how to exercise moderation.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Castleton Classic tomorrow. 215km and 2,700m of climbing. Feeling a bit intimidated by it, but should survive.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
it always sounds so good but I know

This wonder jacket is a...? <drum roll>

Here are shots of the jacket I have previously used for overnight and the newer one. They old one is pertex quantum with a micro fleece wicking layer and new one is a similar outer but with a much more lofted hydrophobic wicking layer. Both are stretch outers and are comfortable against the skin. They aren't waterproof but will generally keep the weather out and water away from the skin in the worst of it. They aren't even fully wind proof which is one the secrets to how they don't cause a build up of moisture in any layers below. They are actually mountaineering tops and a style that I like but the new top and its inner liner didn't exist last time I looked. The former is dri clime / vapourise technology which is about 20 years old. For the newer jacket. I'd say it's a modern take with modern materials (been around about 3 years) on the old pile and pertex tops of the 80's which have always been a very good alternative to the lots of layers then waterproof shell idealogy. Although the new top will be warmer, it is lighter than the other top at 240g. I'll let you know my thoughts after my 400 then 600 coming up in the next 2-3 weeks,
IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think Market Harborough at 10pm. Having said that, +1 to the thin layers approach. After that stop I had 5 layers on - all thin. Base layer, long sleeved cycle top, short sleeved cycle top, gilet and waterproof jacket. Wasn't cosy but that's fine: we were riding at a decent pace.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You won't be cozy without a layer offering insulation in your list. No wonder you put on everything you had.
As I said, didn't want to be cosy: we were riding in a pace line and cosy would equal sweat. Any stopping was inside a McDs for food/control. For context that Easter Saturday morning was 4 degrees lower than forecast (that forecast only 18 hours old). If I had clothing left in the bag (at 3am in north Nottinghamshire), it would mean I'd overpacked. Experience was useful to inform kit choices for Brevet Cymru which dropped to below zero (midnight-6am, 5 May). Then the cold was forecast and also was not going to breach 10 degrees in the day. I rode in bib longs (as opposed to shorts and leg warmers), wore 3mm neoprene overboots right thro' (as opposed to toe thingies) and wore lobsters (gloves) other than 9am-9pm. Top layers were the same and warm enough. I carried but didn't use chemical heat foot insoles (HotHands) - regretted not using those 0445-0700 in zero degrees (several of my toes have suffered frostbite, the rest frostnip).

Top Bottom