What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Cosy to me doesn't mean sweat, just means a nice operating temperature on the move. Clothing left in the bag just means you have that warm layer to throw on if there is a mechanical and you need to stop a while. That sort of layer might be a down or primaloft gilet you can throw over the top of your moving layers to keep warm whilst stopped for long than a minute or two. When ready to go you take it of and put it back in your bag.

Get you on the Easter Arrow forecasts . Way colder than predicted.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
a down or primaloft gilet
Benefit versus volume too low for me (though if planning for a roadside 'hotel' stay then good kit). Everyone's different in temperature regulation, range of comfortable operating temperature, threshold of risk. Space blanket is there for 'emergencies'.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Benefit versus volume too low for me (though if planning for a roadside 'hotel' stay then good kit). Everyone's different in temperature regulation, range of comfortable operating temperature, threshold of risk. Space blanket is there for 'emergencies'.

You can get some very low bulk I nsulators now. They really don't take up much space and can make a real difference when it's much colder than forecast or you have an unplanned nighttime stop.

Agree space blanket in case you end up injured / need to stop and not move for a long time.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@Cranky Knee Girl This article will better explain the types of tops I wear and why they can replace 3 or more layers of a traditional layering plus waterproof shell system. I first discovered them in the late 90's for mountaineering and they are bloody brilliant. You have to have a change of mindset though , a bit of a leap from what you traditionally have been told and believed.

https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_best_softshell_in_the_world

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I started and finished the Paddington Express 400 from Bristol to London and back. I ECEd a bit either end to bring it to 500+. My longest ride to date with just over 30 hours in the saddle. A 5 star event from Will Pombear. There were even marmalade sarnies being served by none other than Kingdom Brunel at Paddington station!

Starting at 1530, which is the wrong time of day for me, I was pleasantly surprised that my body and mind coped very well. I feel ok today. I am pleased.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I started and finished the Paddington Express 400 from Bristol to London and back. I ECEd a bit either end to bring it to 500+. My longest ride to date with just over 30 hours in the saddle. A 5 star event from Will Pombear. There were even marmalade sarnies being served by none other than Kingdom Brunel at Paddington station!

Starting at 1530, which is the wrong time of day for me, I was pleasantly surprised that my body and mind coped very well. I feel ok today. I am pleased.
How was your Element Bolt ? Did it need the charge topping up ?

yello

As things stand, I doubt I'll ride an audax again. Health issues (nothing serious) are currently limiting me to around 50 to 70 km rides max, but I remain hopeful.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Finished Paddington express (400k) in just over 19hrs. Good ride with good company. Just the 600k in two weeks and I will have completed my fixed wheel SR.

@Heltor Chasca didn't see you there, not that I was paying much attention. You coming along for the 600k in a fortnight?

Fantastic ride at 5 hours quicker than me. That’ll explain why you didn’t see me. I spent a lot more time at controls than normal. This was my first 400/500 so my plan was to finish rather than push hard. I just had no idea how I was going to cope. An afternoon start is the wrong end of the day for me and this was 30% further than I’ve done, so I had a conservative tactic.

I won’t be with you on the Steam Express. 600s aren’t something I could do in term time. But after this 508km effort I know I can do one.

Bon courage for Will’s ride. They are slick.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Fantastic ride at 5 hours quicker than me. That’ll explain why you didn’t see me. I spent a lot more time at controls than normal. This was my first 400/500 so my plan was to finish rather than push hard. I just had no idea how I was going to cope. An afternoon start is the wrong end of the day for me and this was 30% further than I’ve done, so I had a conservative tactic.

I won’t be with you on the Steam Express. 600s aren’t something I could do in term time. But after this 508km effort I know I can do one.

Bon courage for Will’s ride. They are slick.
Great riding from both of you, and good to meet you both at Blunsdon, although I already know @Heltor Chasca, I will have stamped your brevet too @fossala. 400s are off my radar, 600s are outer space! I was quite envious though, wish I'd thought of just starting and getting to Paddington. Bit late now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom